10.1948, All: Thanks and An Update

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 17 14:57:20 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1948. Fri Dec 17 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1948, All: Thanks and An Update

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:31:26 -0500 (EST)
From:  Helen Aristar Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Subject:  Donations

Date:  Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:31:26 -0500 (EST)
From:  Helen Aristar Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>

	As 1999 draws to a close, we'd like to thank our 1999 donors once
        again and to remind those of you that have not yet made a
	contribution  that LINGUIST is a non-profit organization, with 501C
	tax status (in   the USA). In other words, your donation--should you
	care to make one--would be tax-deductible.

	We hope you will--not only because LINGUIST needs money (as
	usual!) to sustain its services, but also because your contributions
	help deserving graduate students who serve as editors or computer
	programmers for LINGUIST.  Your donations are currently funding 8
	students.  They not only constitute one of our best crews in years
	but--as you will see from the list below--are remarkably diverse in
	interests and nationalities:

	>From Eastern Michigan University:

	Scott Fults..
	Received his Bachelor's degree in English from the  University of
	Michigan. He is now finishing up his Master's degree in
	Linguistics, focusing on formal syntax and semantics.

	Lydia Grebenyova...
	Born and raised in Russia, Lydia completed her   degree in Foreign
	Languages at the Pedogogical University of Voronezh   and is now
	a graduate student in Linguistics. Long fascinated by   language,
	she is interested in its structural/formal aspects.

	Naomi Ogasawara.. .
	Is ffrom Chiba prefecture (next to Tokyo) in Japan,   where she
	earned her B.A. in Business Admistration. With 7 years  teaching
	experience (English and Japanese) in Japan, she is finishing  up
	her M.A. in TESOL at Eastern Michigan University. She is also
	working  on a second M.A. in Linguistics.

	Qian Liao...
	Comes from the southwest of China, where she received her
	Bachelor's degree in Applied Chemistry in 1992. After working 4
	years at Luoyang Petrochemical Engineering Corporation as a
	process engineer,   she went to graduate school at the University
	of Petroleum in   1996. Qian came to the USA in 1998 and is
	currently  studying   Computer Science at Eastern Michigan
	University.

	>From Wayne State University:

	Jody Heullmantel...
	Is an artist specializing in sculpture and   photography and has her
	B.F.A degree from the Center for Creative Studies in Detroit,
	Michigan. She has turned her attention to   Linguistics and is
	currently working on her Master's degree.

	Karen Milligan...
	A former professional dancer, she received her degree in Speech
	and Drama from Mercy College of Detroit, Michigan. Director  of
	Milligan School of Ballet for 21 years, she is now also persuing a
	Master's degree in Linguistics and is interested in child language
	acquisition.

	James Yuells...
	Having lived and worked in Russia, James is now back home
	working on two degrees,a B.A in Linguistics and a B.F.A. in
	Photography.

	Sudheendra Adiga...
	Comes to us from India where he received his B.S.in   Engineering
	from the Bangalore University. He is currently a graduate   student
	in the Computer Science program. His specialties include C,   Unix
	Internals, and Web Technologies.

	(And, by the way. . . . It's not only a great crew but an expanding
	one.  We will shortly be calling for applications for another
	LINGUIST List-sponsored fellowship at Eastern Michigan U..  So if
	any of you know of an able linguistics student who would like to
	pursue an American M.A., we hope you'll bring the LINGUIST
	fellowship to their attention.)

	This year the crew has been hard at work on several inovations
	(which you will hear more about when we kick off the 2000 fund
	drive in March).  For example:

	Instituting the Jobs Information page
	Improving the search engine
	Starting the LINGUIST cookbook (web-version)
	Expanding our book announcement service (a record 23 publishers
	announced linguistic books on LINGUIST last year, so we were
	able to bring you announcements of  almost all the linguistic
	publications in the field.)

	And our biggest and most exciting developments, The Multi-list
	Archiving Project and the Full Site Search Facility (details in the
	next issue of All) are well underway.

	As you can see, your money is being put to good use, for without
	your  support all of these projects would be impossible.  So if you
	have not  yet contributed to LINGUIST, think about doing so before
	Dec 23 and getting that tax  write-off.

	You can contribute by credit card at

	http://linguistlist.org/donation.html

	or send a check to:

	The LINGUIST Editorial Support Fund
	c/o Dept. of English Language and Literature
	Eastern Michigan University
	Ypsilanti, MI 48197

	Many of you, of course, have already contributed. The names of our
	1999 contributors are listed below and at:

	http://linguistlist.org/contributors.html

	To these 230 generous supporters, we offer our heartiest thanks.

	Sincerely,
	Helen, Anthony, Andrew

		1999  LINGUIST Contributors
	MAINSTAYS  ($100 and Over)
	Anonymous
	W. S.	Allan
	Ann-Marie	Andrew
	Tilman	Berger
	Alan K.	Engel
	Graeme	Forbes
	Kevin	Gregg
	Carolyn	Hartnett
	Monica Macaulay &	Joe Salmons
	Patrick	Juola
	Joanne	Lambert
	Elizabeth	Liddy
	John	McCarthy
	Ernest and Adele	McCarus
	Wolfgang	Meyer
	Rebecca Larch	Moreton
	Dipika	Mukherjee
	Casandra	Murphy
	Yoonjo	Oh
	David	Parkinson
	Sally	Rice
	Chi-lin Shih &	Richard Sproat
	Sergio	Scalise
	Carlota	Smith
	Hiroaki	Tanaka
	Karl	Teeter
	Graham	Thurgood
	Theo	Vennemann
	Catherine	Walter
	Jung Ju	Yoon
	Arnold	Zwicky

	SUPPORTERS ($50 - $100)

	Mark	Alberding
	Joao	Andrade Peres
	Julie	Auger
	Stefano	Bertolo
	Garland	Bills
	J. C.	Bradfield
	Sharon	Carson
	Corina	Chen
	Donna	Christian
	Virginia	Clark
	Linda	Coleman
	Hortensia	Curell
	Laura J.	Downing
	Francisco	Dubert-Garcia
	Susan	Fischer
	Charles	Gribble
	Carolyn	Grinnell Kirkpatrick
	Martin	Haspelmath
	Richard	Hudson
	Frances	Ingemann
	Pauline	Jacobson
	Suzanne	Kemmer
	Andrew	Mackie
	Lisa Reed  and	Marc Authier
	Richard	McGinn
	M. Lynn	Murphy
	Geoffrey	Nathan
	Kunio	Nishiyama
	Mari	Olsen
	Barbara	Olson-Herrarte
	Ingo	Plag
	James L Fidelholtz &	Rosa Graciela Montes
	Catherine	Rudin
	Andreas	Schramm
	George A.	Senf
	Maria	Sifianou
	Dan	Slobin
	Ute	Smit
	Hyun Suk	Song
	Xulio	Sousa
	Kathleen	Tacelosky
	Pius	ten Hacken
	Elly	van Gelderen
	Catherine	Walters
	Thomas	Wasow
	Doug	Whalen
	Ronnie	Wilbur
	Dovie R.	Wylie (in memory of Keith Denning)
	Moira	Yip
	Jung Ju	Yoon

	DONORS ($50 and Under)

	Anonymous
	Yukiko Sasaki	Alam
	Jannis	Androutsopoulos
	Susannah	Ayres-Thomas
	Paula	Baird
	Francesca	Bargiela
	Martha	Bartter
	Elena	Bashir
	Katherine	Bassein
	Charlotte	Brewer
	Wynn	Chao
	Catherine Holmes	Clark
	Diana	Cook
	Naomi	Cull
	Anthony	Davis
	Barbara	Di Eugenio
	Susan	Fitzgerald
	Susan	Foster-Cohen
	Laura	Fox
	Elaine J.	Francis
	Glenn	Frankenfield
	Stefan	Frisch
	Janet	Fuller
	Rosa J.	Garcia
	Wilhelm	Geuder
	Frank	Gladney
	Frank	Gladney
	Ricardo	Gomez
	Joachim	Grabowski
	Leonard & Carole	Grau
	Suzette	Haden Elgin
	I. W.	Harper
	Yutaka	Hayashi
	Kirk	Hazen
	Henry M.	Hoenigswald
	Alice	Horning
	Su-Ying	Hsaio
	Mary Jane	Hurst
	Michael	Israel
	Henrik	Joergensen
	Kimberley	Jones
	Yuri	Kite
	Harriet	Klein
	Michael	Kliffer
	Andrew & Melissa	Koontz-Garboden
	Alexis	Latner
	Sarah	Lloyd, in memory of Donald Jacob Lloyd, PhD.
	Heather	Marsden
	Bart	Mathias
	Scott	McGinnis
	Scott and Rebecca	McGinnis
	Edith	Moravcik
	Carol	Myers-Scotton
	Diane	Nelson
	Diane	Nelson
	Keigo	Noda
	Andrea G.	Osburne
	Hugues	Peters
	Kathe	Rauch
	Florence	Reeder
	Barbara Vance and	Richard Janda
	M. L.	Roecklein
	Lynn	Santelmann
	Cristina	Sanz
	Ronald	Schaefer
	Jim	Sneddon
	Carolyn	Sobel
	Nick	Sobin
	Paul & Virginia	Stevens (In memory of Walter Cook)
	Stephanie	Strickland
	Robert	Trammell
	Kazami	Uchida
	Angelick	van Hout
	Guido	Vanden Wyngaerd
	Tomoyuki	Watase
	Max	Wheeler
	Elizabeth	Winkler
	Argenis	Zapata
	Jack	Zeldis

   INSTITUTIONS

	Acculab
	Aculab
	Arizona State University
	Brigham Young University, Linguistics Dept.
	City University of Hong Kong
	Cornell University
	Daito Bunka University
	Dartmouth College
	English Dept. of College of  William and Mary
	Entropic, Inc.
	Europaeische Akademie Bozen
	George Washington University
	Georgetown University
	Goteborg University
	Harvard University
	Institut fur Deutsche Sprache
	Intelligenesis Corporation
	Johns Hopkins Univ, Dept. of Cog. Science
	kyung Hee University
	Linguistic Assoc. of Great Britain
	Linguistic Society of America
	Linguistics Club, Univ. of Connectticut
	Max Planck Institute
	McGill University
	Miami University of Ohio
	Michigan State Univ
	Microsoft
	Microsoft Matching Gift (fr. David Parkinson)
	National Chung Cheng University
	Northwestern Univ
	Oakland University
	Ohio State University
	Ohio State University, Linguistics Department
	Ohio Univ. Linguistics Dept.
	Orark Center for Language Studies
	Pacific Search Consultants
	Prairie Bible Institute
	Rijksuniversiteit Groningen
	Riksuniversiteit Groningen
	Rutgers University
	Simon Fraser University
	Stanford Univ., Computer Sci Dept
	Stockhoms Universitet
	Syracuse University
	Systran - Luxembourg
	Tegic Communications
	Turku University
	U. of Montana - Missoula
	UC Irvine, Linguistics Dept.
	Univ of British Columbia
	Univ of California, Berkeley, Dept. of Anthropolog
	Univ of Canterbury
	Univ of Canterbury, N.Z.
	Univ of Edinburgh
	Univ of Maryland, Dept. of Education
	Univ of Michigan, Dept of Asian Langs
	Univ of Minnesota, Asian Langs Dept
	Univ. of Alberta
	Univ. of Canterbury, New Zealand
	University of Alberta
	University of Auckland
	University of Basel, English Dept.
	University of California - Berkeley
	University of California, Linguistics Dept
	University of Canterbury
	University of Florida, Romance Languages Dept.
	University of Illimois - Chicago
	University of Massachusettes, Amherst, Ling Dept
	University of North Texas
	University of Pennsylvania
	University of Pennsylvania, Grad School of Ed
	University of S. Carolina
	University of South Carolina
	University of Surrey
	University of Toronto
	University of Wisconsi, German Department
	University of Wisconsin
	Yale University

	12/16/99