10.1973, Qs: Ispell Dictionaries, Cross-ling Advertising

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 20 04:16:36 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1973. Sun Dec 19 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1973, Qs: Ispell Dictionaries, Cross-ling Advertising

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 15 Dec 1999 21:20:26 -0800
From:  Paul Rohr <paul at abisource.com>
Subject:  Comp Ling: Ispell dictionaries for different languages

2)
Date:  Sat, 18 Dec 1999 09:58:13 -0500
From:  George Fowler <gfowler at indiana.edu>
Subject:  Cross-linguistic advertising

Date:  Wed, 15 Dec 1999 21:20:26 -0800
From:  Paul Rohr <paul at abisource.com>

Hi,

This question is for the more computationally-oriented members of the list,
from a software person who didn't thrive in his college linguistics class:

I was wondering what the commonly-held opinion is about the quality of
ispell dictionaries for various languages (and the tools for building them)?

The reason I ask is that I'm one of the principal authors of AbiWord, a
widely-used Open Source word processor which currently runs natively on a
variety of platforms (Win32, Linux, BeOS, Solaris, FreeBSD, etc.).  We've
had a lot of success locating translators for the user interface, but
getting ispell dictionaries to work for languages other than English has
been a real headache.

One of the key features we implemented early on was the kind of interactive
spell checking found in all modern word processors -- those little red
squiggles and popup menus that users either love or hate.

To do so, we're reading ispell-format dictionaries directly, which is
working out beautifully for English, but we're running into trouble handling
ispell dictionaries for other languages which don't seem to interact well
with our internal Unicode representations of the document content.

I suspect that our underlying problem is purely a software issue that we'll
eventually learn enough to figure out, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable
investing that effort if I knew that the quality of the resulting
dictionaries was likely to be worth the effort.

Any opinions or assistance we could get on this issue would be very much
appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul

PS:  Anyone interested in AbiWord itself can download source or binaries of
the latest development release from our website:

  http://www.abisource.com/