10.1994, Sum: Core Grammars

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 22 14:10:54 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1994. Wed Dec 22 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1994, Sum: Core Grammars

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Sudheendra Adiga <sudhi at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:43:24 +0100
From:  Cristina Barbero <barbero at irst.itc.it>
Subject:  core grammars

Date:  Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:43:24 +0100
From:  Cristina Barbero <barbero at irst.itc.it>

Dear list's members,

a couple of months ago I posted a query about references
to the problem of designing a core grammar.

As promised, I'm posting a summary with the information
I collected. First of all, I would like to thank all the
people who responded to my query: Frederik Fouvry,
Wolfgang Schulze, Stefan Mueller, Markus Schulze,
Magdalena Zoeppritz, Myroslava Dzikovska, Miriam Butt,
Gabriel Pereira Lopes, Jean Pierre Chanod.

Below you can find a list of the projects, books, papers,
URLs, resources mentioned in the responses I received or
extracted through browsing on Internet.

Best.
               Cristina Barbero

RELEVANT PROJECTS

 - HP Test Suite (Flickinger-etal:87)
 - TSNLP, EU project (1993-1995)
     http://clwww.essex.ac.uk/group/projects/tsnlp/
     http://tsnlp.dfki.uni-sb.de/tsnlp/
 - DiET, EU project (1997-1999)
     http://diet.dfki.de/
 - LinGO: CSLI (Stanford)
     http://hpsg.stanford.edu/hpsg/lingo.html
 - XTAG: UPenn
     http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~xtag/
 - PARGRAM: Stuttgart, Xerox PARC & Xerox Research Centre Europe
(Grenoble)
     http://www.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/projekte/pargram
     http://www.parc.xerox.com/istl/groups/nltt/pargram
 - EUREKA-GRAAL
 - LS-Gram, EU project (1994-1996)
     http://www.iai.uni-sb.de/LS-GRAM/home.html

OTHER RELEVANT REFERENCES

 - Babel-System (Stefan Mueller, DFKI)
     http://www.dfki.de/~stefan/Babel/e_babel.html
 - grammars developed at Xerox Research Centre Europe (Grenoble)
     (Mokhtar-Chanod:97a)
     (Mokhtar-Chanod:97b)
     (Gala-Pavia:99)
     (Grefenstette:96)
 - core grammar for French (Paul Sabatier, LIM, Marseille)
   and for Portuguese (Gabriel Pereira Lopes, Universidade Nova
   de Lisboa)
 - grammars developed for Italian in the Geppetto project
   (IRST-Trento, http://ecate.itc.it:1024/projects/geppetto.html)
   and in the Pinocchio project (IRST-Trento,
   http://ecate.itc.it:1024/projects/pinocchio.html)

PAPERS AND BOOKS

Butt M., Holloway King T., Nino M.E., Segond F., "A Grammar
  Writer's Cookbook", Stanford, CA: CSLI Lecture Notes 95,
  CSLI Publications, 1999.

Flickinger D., Nerbonne J., Sag I., Wasow T., "Toward
  Evaluation of NLP Systems", Hewlett-Packard Laboratories,
  Palo Alto, CA, 1987.

Gala-Pavia N., "Using the Incremental Finite-State Architecture
  to create a Spanish Shallow Parser", in "XV Congres of SEPLN
  (Sociedad Española para el Procesamiento del Languaje
  Natural)", Lleida (Spain), 1999.

GRAAL Consortium 1994, "GRAAL SP12 - Specifications of Core
  Grammars", Final Report.

Grefenstette G., "Light Parsing as Finite-State Filtering",
  in "Proceedings ECAI '96 workshop on Extended finite state
  models of language", Aug. 11-12, 1996, Budapest.

Heyer G., Haugeneder H., "Language Engineering: Essays in the
  Theory and Practice of Applied Natural Language Computing",
  Wiesbaden:Vieweg, 1995.

Lehmann H., "The LEX project - concepts and results", in
  A. Blase ed.: "Natural language at the Computer: Scientific
  Symposium on Syntax and Semantics for Text Processing and
  Man-Machine Communication", Lecture Notes in Computer
  Science 320, Heidelberg: Springer, 1988.

Mokhtar S.A., Chanod J.P., "Incremental finite-state parsing",
  in "Proceedings of Applied Natural Language Processing 1997",
  Washington, DC. April 97

Mokhtar S.A., Chanod J.P., "Subject and Object Dependency
  Extraction Using Finite-State Transducers", ACL workshop
  on "Automatic Information Extraction and Building of Lexical
  Semantic Resources for NLP Applications", Madrid, 1997.

Mueller S., "Deutsche Syntax declarativ. Head Driven
  Phrase-Structure Grammar fur Das Deutsche", Linguistische
  Arbeiten, N. 394, Tubingen: Max Niemeyer Verlag, 1999.
  (http://www.dfki.de/~stefan/Pub/e_hpsh.html)

Schulze M., "A framework for grammar acquisition", in
  "Proceedings ESSLLI'98 workshop on Automated Acquisition
  of syntax and parsing", 1998.
  (http://www.linguistik.uni-erlangen.de/~max/Tree/bib.html)

Schulze W., "Person, Klasse, Kongruenz", vol. 1 Die Grundlagen
  (in two parts), Munich: LINCOM Europa, 1988.
  (http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~wschulze/pkk_1abs.htm)

Zoeppritz M., "Syntax for German in the User Specialty
  Languages System", Sprache und Information Band 9,
  Tubingen: Niemeyer, 1984.