10.167, Qs: "Duplication", Accents

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 4 00:50:38 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-167. Wed Feb 3 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.167, Qs: "Duplication", Accents

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 1 Feb 1999 15:04:00 +0100
From:  "zmaalej" <zmaalej at gnet.tn>
Subject:  "Duplication"

2)
Date:  Wed, 03 Feb 1999 08:09:47 PST
From:  "daniel rafferty" <danielrafferty at hotmail.com>
Subject:  Philadelphian accent, Californian accent

Date:  Mon, 1 Feb 1999 15:04:00 +0100
From:  "zmaalej" <zmaalej at gnet.tn>

Dear linguists,

I have engaged in a pragmalinguistic investigation of what I am
provisionally calling "duplication" in Tunisian Arabic. It consists in
using two lexical items or a collocation as in what follows:

- ka'ba ka'ba (one each)
- l-qatl wa l-maktul (the killing and the killed)
- r-raajil raajil (the male a male)

Leaving aside the syntactic dimension for the time being, such types
of duplication play various pragmatic functions in TA.
My query relates to the following points:

(i) Does the same phenomenon exist in other languages?
(ii) If it exists, what pragmatic function(s) does it serve?
(iii) Does someone on the list know of any publications in this area
(papers/books) ?

If this topic turns out to be attractive to colleagues, a summary will
be posted to the List.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Zouhair Maalej
University of Tunis I