10.179, Qs: Chinese, Code-switching, Spanish/French

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 5 16:01:52 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-179. Fri Feb 5 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.179, Qs: Chinese, Code-switching, Spanish/French

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 04 Feb 1999 15:33:35 PST
From:  "daniel rafferty" <danielrafferty at hotmail.com>
Subject:  Chinese written neologisms, whispered Chinese

2)
Date:  Fri, 05 Feb 1999 12:27:42 +0100
From:  "Carsten Otto" <Carsten.Otto at ITS.DE>
Subject:  Code-switching, -mixing and other language-contact phenomena

3)
Date:  Thu, 4 Feb 1999 22:09:48 -0800 (PST)
From:  bingfu <bingfu at usc.edu>
Subject:  Old Spanish/Old French

Date:  Thu, 04 Feb 1999 15:33:35 PST
From:  "daniel rafferty" <danielrafferty at hotmail.com>

CHINESE WRITTEN NEOLOGISMS
Does anyone know of the research that was done on the interpretation
Chinese people give to characters which don't actually exist in the
language but are comprised of individual pictogram elements which
connote general concepts?  Actually, I believe the research was done
on Japanese speakers as sort of a "Rohrschach kanji", though it could
apply to speakers of either language (as well perhaps as Korean).
English is noted for being especially suited to neologisms, e.g. the
way we *verb* nouns, and apply morphemes to such *verbing*, or suffix
"-able" to practically any verb in colloquial speech.  Do speakers of
languages which use Chinese characters have such leeway with the
written language?

WHISPERED CHINESE
How well is Chinese understood if whispered without non-verbal cues
like gestures?  Do changes in tension of the vowels substitute for the
pitch which is crucial to conveying meaning, or are words modified
with other words to eliminate other possible meanings, as the meaning
"to be capable of" can be eliminated as a possibility for English
"can" if it's qualified by prefixing "tin"?