10.215, Qs: Mac Fonts, Past Tense, Controlled Lang Research

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 11 02:45:13 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-215. Wed Feb 10 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.215, Qs: Mac Fonts, Past Tense, Controlled Lang Research

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 07 Feb 1999 17:19:14 -0800
From:  UCB Library Public PC <publicpc at library.berkeley.edu>
Subject:  Font Program for Mac

2)
Date:  Tue, 9 Feb 1999 10:07:36 -0000
From:  "Sean Jensen" <seanj at seanj.demon.co.uk>
Subject:  Past tense

3)
Date:  Tue, 09 Feb 1999 14:10:02 +0100
From:  Jeff ALLEN <jeff at elda.fr>
Subject:  Controlled Language Research on Spanish

Date:  Sun, 07 Feb 1999 17:19:14 -0800
From:  UCB Library Public PC <publicpc at library.berkeley.edu>

Hello!

Does anyone know of a program specifically with fonts for the McIntosh?
I especially need Greek fonts.

Thank you!

Date:  Tue, 9 Feb 1999 10:07:36 -0000
From:  "Sean Jensen" <seanj at seanj.demon.co.uk>

Fellow LINGUISTs

I wonder if anyone can point me at literature/anecdote/opinion about
the following:

SEE is a verb; TEE is a (golfing) verb. In my capacity as a naive
native speaker I seem to have far less of a problem analysing SEED as
a "badly made" past tense of SEE than I do analysing "TAW" as a "badly
made" past tense of TEE. In fact the latter strikes me as the sort of
excrutiating analogy only a desparate punster (or linguist) could come
up with.

Does TAW strike everyone as being much worse than SEED, or are there
some amongst you for whom SEED is just as "opaque", or even those for
whom SEED is more "opaque" than TAW?

Summary if the response warrants it....

Thanks

S.