10.229, Qs: Nishga, Analysis, 2nd dialect, k/t alternation

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 12 21:15:30 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-229. Fri Feb 12 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.229, Qs: Nishga, Analysis, 2nd dialect, k/t alternation

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 10 Feb 99 00:42:33 -0400
From:  IVAR <ravi at ionsys.com>
Subject:  Nishga - aka Nass-Gitksan

2)
Date:  Thu, 11 Feb 1999 12:38:18 +0000
From:  Fernando Trujillo <ftsaez at platon.ugr.es>
Subject:  Computer text analysis

3)
Date:  Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:34:15 +1100
From:  Jeff Siegel <jsiegel at metz.une.edu.au>
Subject:  Second dialect acquisition

4)
Date:  Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:25:11 -0800
From:  Kirk Hazen <khazen2 at wvu.edu>
Subject:  k/t alternations

Date:  Wed, 10 Feb 99 00:42:33 -0400
From:  IVAR <ravi at ionsys.com>

Hello!

I am currently enrolled in a linguistics course on the languages of
the Pacific North-West, because of the large number of languages in
the area each student focuses on a specific language and brings what
they learn of that language to the in class discussion. My language of
choice is Nishga (aka Nass-Gitskan). I already have some background
with the cultural aspects having written a paper regarding the
Delgamuukw land claim. In regards to the language my primary source is
Tarpent's 1989 grammar and I am also using Boas (1911) as a secondary
source.  I was wondering if anyone could help me with some further
resources on Nishga (aka Nass-Gitskan). The problem that I'm running
into is two-fold: 1) A large amount of information seems to be
unpublished, 2) Published sources appear catalogued under the
strangest combination of terms i.e. any of Nishga, Nisga'a, Tsimshian,
Penutian, Nass-Gitskan and more.

I would be incredibly thankful for any assistance or information
anyone could provide.

...iVAR