10.315, Qs: Ellipsis, 'Eso', E-mail, Re/Arabic Metaphor

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 26 20:38:26 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-315. Fri Feb 26 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.315, Qs: Ellipsis, 'Eso', E-mail, Re/Arabic Metaphor

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:56:56 +0900
From:  "ando" <ando at nt.yasuda-u.ac.jp>
Subject:  Ellipsis

2)
Date:  Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:29:26 +0100 (NFT)
From:  "Andrea Sanso'" <sanso at ling.unipi.it>
Subject:  Spanish ESO

3)
Date:  Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:48:22 EST
From:  Mmmackenz at aol.com
Subject:  E-mail research

4)
Date:  Fri, 26 Feb 1999 13:06:55 +0100 (MET)
From:  nasalski at smail.Uni-Koeln.DE
Subject:  Political Metaphor in Arabic once again

Date:  Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:56:56 +0900
From:  "ando" <ando at nt.yasuda-u.ac.jp>

Dear List Members:

I would like to present my first question to the list. What is your opinion
of the following sentences which I found in my reading. Some linguists
accept these with the 'it' and 'him' added. I don't think that they are so
common, but would like to hear your opinions.

This book is too abstract for me to read [it].
He spoke too fast for me to follow [him].
Which article did you file without reading [it].
    (Chomsky accepts this last one without the 'it'.)

Sadao Ando
ando at nt.yasuda-u.ac.jp