10.319, Qs: Final Vowel, Koineisation, Codeswitching

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Feb 28 22:25:05 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-319. Sun Feb 28 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.319, Qs: Final Vowel, Koineisation, Codeswitching

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 27 Feb 1999 10:24:51
From:  "Tony A. Wright" <twright at intersatx.net>
Subject:  Unstressed final vowel

2)
Date:  Sun, 28 Feb 1999 20:08:53 +0900
From:  "Yoshiyuki Asahi" <yasahi at ma.kcom.ne.jp>
Subject:  Koineisation

3)
Date:  Sun, 28 Feb 1999 09:26:28 -0700
From:  Sarah Longstaff <sarahl at U.Arizona.EDU>
Subject:  Bilingual codeswitching

Date:  Sat, 27 Feb 1999 10:24:51
From:  "Tony A. Wright" <twright at intersatx.net>

I'd like to put a question to phonologists on the list.

I have recently read a claim that in American English,
the  vowel in the unstressed final syllable of words like "happy",
"pity",  "lucky", etc. is an allophone of the vowel phoneme in words like
"sit", "hit",
"lip", etc.  To my ear, it sounds unmistakably like the vowel phoneme in
words like "see", "free", etc.

Out of curiosity, I consulted the pronunciation keys of several
dictionaries for words containing the final unstressed syllable in "happy"
and other similar words.  The only dictionary I could find which glossed
this sound as a so-called "short i" (ie., the same as the sound in "sit")
was an abridgment of the Oxford English Dictionary.  All of the American
dictionaries listed it as the so-called "long e"  (ie., as in "see" or
"free").

This makes me feel that the claim I read was an isolated one based perhaps
on  British dictionary entries.  Could people knowledgeable in American
English phonology give me their opinion privately?  I will post a summary
to the list.

Thank you.

- Tony Wright         twright at intersatx.net