10.12, Sum: Specificity: Query 9.1578

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 5 21:59:29 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-12. Tue Jan 5 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.12, Sum: Specificity: Query 9.1578

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:53:56 -0600
From:  Rebecca Larche Moreton <mlrlm at sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu>
Subject:  The Specifics of Specificity

Date:  Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:53:56 -0600
From:  Rebecca Larche Moreton <mlrlm at sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu>

Dear LINGUIST Listers:

Whew! I feel better already! I see I'm not the only one confused by
specificity, AND that there are lots of people working on it. A great
many people have responsed to my inquiry (LINGUIST 9-1578) on
specificity and its relationship(s) to definiteness. Several gave
references to their own recent work, usually with some discussion;
from these, I learned that specificity is primarily a semantic rather
than a structural matter; I was looking in the wrong places. Other
responders listed sources they had found helpful, with some commentary
on the approaches and the depth of the analyses. The rest just asked
me to be sure to summarize. It is for this latter group that I list
below all the references received. The references are given without
comment since I have not yet consulted them.

Bechwith, Chris. 'Non-specification and classification in Uzbek,'
     	Anthropological Linguistics, l998, 40 (1) pp. 124-140 (esp.pp
     	127-129).

Chalker, Sylvia. 1984. Current Englisn Grammar. Macmillan. Pp.52-55.

Cormack, Annabel, and Ruth Kempson, 'On specificity,' in Jay L.Garfield
	and Murray Kiteley, eds., The essential readings in modern semantics.'
	Paragon House. Pp. 546-581.

Dahl, Oesten. 1988. 'The role of deduction
	rules in semantics,' J. of Semantics 6(1), pp. 1-18.
Eisenberg, Peter. 1994. Grundriss der deutschen Grammatik. Stuttgart,
     	Weimar. (see pp.164 ff.)

Enc, Murvet. 1991. 'The semantics of specificity,' Linguistic Inquiry 22,
     	pp. 1-25.(Most-mentioned reference.)

Farkas, Donka F. 'Specificity and scope,' paper given at Langues et
	grammaires I (email to farkas at ling.ucsc.edu).

Frawley, William. l992. Linguistic semantics. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence
     	Erlbaum Associates.

Haspelmath, Martin. 1997. Indefinite pronouns. Oxford University Press.

Jackendoff, Ray. 1983. Semantics and cognition.

Kaplan, Jeffrey. English grammar: principles and facts.

Kiefer, F.,ed. Semantik und generative Grammatik I.  Frankfurt. (see
     	pp.66-99.)

Kiyoshi, Ishikawa. 1996. 'Individuation and reasoning,' in Logic,
	Language, and Computation, vol. 1, ed. by Jerry Seligman and Dag
	Westerstahl. Stanford: CSLI Publications.

_________. 1998. A Network Theory of Reference. Bloomington: Indiana
	Linguistics Club.

Lyons, John. 1997. Semantics. Vol 1 (see p. 188).

Nadasdi, Terry. (Dissertation; information at
        http://www.ualberta.ca/~tnadasdi/.

__________. 1995. (Article in Language Variation and Change, vol.7,
	pp.1-14.

Newman, Michael. 1997. Epicene pronouns. (In a volume edited by Garland.)

Pan, Haihua. 'The semantic content of noun phrases,' in Xu, Liejiong,'The
     	referential properties of noun phrases,' downloadable at:
     	http://ctlhpan.cityu.edu.hk/haihuapan/pan/newjpc6.doc.

Rheinhart, Tanya. Recent (1997-8) paper from Language and Philosophy on
     	'choice functions.'

Roberts, Lawerence E. 1993. How reference works. SUNY Press. (see Ch.5)

Schaeffer, Jeanette C. 'Direct object scrambling in Dutch and Italian
     	child language.' (1997 dissertation.)

Thanks to all who wrote.

Rebecca Larche Moreton
301 South Ninth Street