10.26, Qs: American /t/, Intro ling book in Spanish

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 7 23:26:03 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-26. Thu Jan 7 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.26, Qs: American /t/, Intro ling book in Spanish

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 6 Jan 1999 09:32:32 -0000
From:  Dan Faulkner <Dan.Faulkner at aculab.com>
Subject:  American /t/

2)
Date:  Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:30:14 -0800 (PST)
From:  Johanna Rubba <jrubba at polymail.cpunix.calpoly.edu>
Subject:  Intro ling book in Spanish

Date:  Wed, 6 Jan 1999 09:32:32 -0000
From:  Dan Faulkner <Dan.Faulkner at aculab.com>

Dear LINGUIST,

I am a British English speaker currently working on the pronunciation of
General North American English (whatever "general" is supposed to mean), and
I have a couple of questions regarding the distribution of voiced alveolar
taps /D/, glottal stops /?/ and 0 as allophones of phoneme /t/ in an
inter-sonorant context.

e.g.

British English = BE			American English = AE

(1)	HATING

	(a) BE - / h ei' t i ng /
	(b) AE - / h ei' D i ng /

(2)	WINTER
	(a) BE / w i' n t @ /
	(b) AE /	w i' n @ R /

(3)	IMPORTANT
	(a) BE - / i m p oo' t @ n t/
	(b) AE - / i m p oo' R ? n t /
	(c) AE - / i m p oo' R D @ n t /

 - Is it correct to say that there is no realised stop or tap in (2b)?  If
so, is it elided because of the preceding alveolar nasal? This would lead to
AE realisations such as:

	ENTITY
	/ e' n @ D ii /

	QUANTITY
 	/ k w aa' n @@ D ii /

 - Is (3b) or (3c) or neither correct for AE? My (obviously non-native)
intuition is that (3b) is correct, and could perhaps lead to a
generalisation that the /t/ phoneme is realised as a glottal stop before
syllabic /n/. This would lead to realisations such as:

	POTENT
	/ p ou1 ? n t / rather than / pou1 D @ n t /

	LATENT
	/ l ei1 ? n t / rather than / l ei1 D @ n t /

I realise that lexical stress location is an important factor in the
realisation of phoneme /t/ also, but taking that as read, I would be very
grateful if someone could correct or verify the above
transcriptions/generalisations.

I would also be very interested to hear of any good references regarding
American pronunciation (is there an American equivalent to "English Accents
and Dialects" by Highes and Trudgill?).

Depending on response, I will publish a summary of all information received.
Thankyou very much in advance.

Dan Faulkner

Tel +44 1908 273 933
Fax +44 1908 273 801