10.43, Disc: Discipline Recognition

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jan 11 00:07:03 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-43. Mon Jan 11 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.43, Disc: Discipline Recognition

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 09 Jan 1999 17:18:34 -0500
From:  [** iso-8859-1 charset **] Patrick Andr\233 Mather<mather at videotron.ca>
Subject:  Re: 10.37, Disc: Discipline Recognition

2)
Date:  Sun, 10 Jan 1999 16:45:04 +0000
From:  Dick Hudson <dick at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject:  Re: 10.32, Disc: Discipline Recognition

3)
Date:   Sun, 10 Jan 1999 09:22:56 -1000
From:  Farooq Babrakzai <babrak at hawaii.edu>

4)
Date:  Sun, 10 Jan 1999 15:37:06 -0800 (PST)
From:  Carl Mills <wugget at yahoo.com>

Date:  Sat, 09 Jan 1999 17:18:34 -0500
From:  [** iso-8859-1 charset **] Patrick Andr\233 Mather<mather at videotron.ca>

Concerning the recognition of linguistics within academia (and in the
world in general), I too am often dismayed at how little even educated
individuals know about our field.  It also seems that linguistics has
lost much prestige over the past few decades: in Quebec province for
instance, linguistics used to be taught in grades 12 and 13 (the last
two years of high-school) until it was abandoned from the curriculum a
few years ago.  It is also striking how, in the current language
debate in Quebec and Canada, few linguists are ever asked about their
opinions.  The media usually invite writers, poets and politicians to
talk about language, but never linguists.

Last year I read a book by French linguist Claude Hagge, "L'homme de
paroles" (Paris, Fayard, 1985), in which he gives his own explanation
for the lack of recognition of our field.  Here is a loose translation
of a relevant excerpt (p. 295-296 in the original) :

"Why is it that, over the last 25 years, linguistics has lost the
prestige it once enjoyed?  Why is it that it does not seem to have
fulfilled its promises?... The obsession with its "scientific" status
has led linguists to adopt a false rigor, for which there is no model,
even in the most "rigorous" sciences.  The excessive fascination with
formalisms has boxed linguistics in within the confines of a technical
jargon, which seems to have little to do with language as it is
actually spoken.  Not only have historical and social considerations
been evacuated from linguistics, but speakers themselves have been
reduced to an abstract concept, and words no longer have any meaning".

Granted, Hagge dismisses linguistic formalism too quickly, and fails
to recognize the major advances made in several areas, including
syntax and language acquisition.  Yet, the formalisms used in
linguistics are changing so quickly and are often so complex that
perhaps we have alienated ourselves from other (social) sciences.

Patrick-Andr Mather
mather at videotron.ca
Tl./fax : (514) 285.92.30