10.53, Disc: Discipline Recognition

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 12 22:54:35 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-53. Tue Jan 12 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.53, Disc: Discipline Recognition

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 12 Jan 1999 10:49:25 -0600
From:  "Lyndra S. Givens" <lgivens at tamiu.edu>
Subject:  Discipline recognition

2)
Date:  Wed, 12 Jan 2000 13:36:28 -0500
From:  "Robert L. Trammell" <Trammell at fau.edu>
Subject:  Discipline Recognition?  Start with the young.

3)
Date:  Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:43:31 -0800 (PST)
From:  Johanna Rubba <jrubba at polymail.cpunix.calpoly.edu>

Date:  Tue, 12 Jan 1999 10:49:25 -0600
From:  "Lyndra S. Givens" <lgivens at tamiu.edu>

>From:  Carl.Mills at UC.Edu
>Subject:  Does linguistics exist in America?
>While filling out a directory questionnaire for another scholarly
>organization that I belong to (the AAUP), I was asked to indicate my
>"Primary Academic Discipline" by picking a code from a list.  To my
>surprise, linguistics was not among the 40 disciplines listed.  What
>gives?  The last time I checked, the LSA had nearly 3,000 members.
>After years of being "other," we got our Language Sciences section in
>the AAAS.  What do we have to do to become visible in academia?
>Carl Mills
>University of Cincinnati

1.  Bring a lot of money in grants to the universities.
2.  Do something spectacular to distinguish the "science" of linguistics
from the "art" of foreign-language study, in such a way that nobody can
ever again equate "being a linguist" to "knowing a lot of foreign
languages." The something needs to utterly distinguish us from all
"Spanish," "French," "Chinese" departments -- which are literature and/or
area studies -- without alienating them, since we may in practice work with
them. We'll also need a good sound-bite summary of our uniqueness for use
on university administrators, grant-awarders, and members of the general
public.  Anyone who can manage it will be my hero for at least a week.

Lyndra Givens
Lyndra S. Givens, reference / interlibrary loan librarian
Texas A&M International University, Laredo TX
109A Sue & Radcliffe Killam Library, 5201 University Blvd., Laredo TX 78041
phone (956)326-2119 / fax (956)326-2120 / email lgivens at tamiu.edu