10.55, Disc: Discipline Recognition

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 13 10:48:20 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-55. Wed Jan 13 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.55, Disc: Discipline Recognition

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 13 Jan 1999 06:10:55 -0600
From:  Rebecca Larche Moreton <mlrlm at sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu>
Subject:  Discipline recognition

2)
Date:  Wed, 13 Jan 1999 14:21:30 +0100
From:  Cornelia Gerhardt <c.gerhardt at rz.uni-sb.de>

3)
Date:  Wed, 13 Jan 1999 06:14:37 -0800
From:  "Tom Payne" <tpayne at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU>

Date:  Wed, 13 Jan 1999 06:10:55 -0600
From:  Rebecca Larche Moreton <mlrlm at sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu>

One reason 'linguist' is linked in the general public's mind with 'speaks
lots of language' is that it designates a military intelligence job
category which includes interpreters, code decrypters, and those who
gather intelligence from various media sources.  The effect spills over
into such government agencies as the Foreign Service Institute, too: to
distingish military linguists from "real" linguists, the term "scientific
linguist" was used up until the mid-sixties, then, when the government
wanted to increase the number of "scientists" it could count for its
statistics, to reassure the public that we were keeping up with the
Soviets, the job description "scientific linguist" became by fiat
"linguistic scientist" (I am not making this up). I do not know what the
current designation is.

Rebecca Larche Moreton
301 South Ninth Street
Oxford, MS 38655