10.86, Qs: Adverbial forms, New NLP books

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 19 22:39:27 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-86. Tue Jan 19 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.86, Qs: Adverbial forms, New NLP books

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 19 Jan 1999 19:28:29 +0100
From:  Hubert Cuyckens <Hubert.Cuyckens at arts.kuleuven.ac.be>
Subject:  Adverbial forms

2)
Date:  Sun, 17 Jan 1999 07:03:42 -0500
From:  "Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D." <bralich at lava.net>
Subject:  New NLP books

Date:  Tue, 19 Jan 1999 19:28:29 +0100
From:  Hubert Cuyckens <Hubert.Cuyckens at arts.kuleuven.ac.be>

Dear linguists,

I have a student who would like to investigate the substitution of
adjectival for adverbial forms in English (e.g, "You done good"
instead of "You did well" and "Think different" instead of "think
differently" -- ie the growing aversion to using adverb endings in
_-ly_ at the end of sentences). She has looked at the adverb
literature and has not been able to come up with very much.

Does anyone know of any important papers, etc. in the linguistic
literature have dealt with this topic ?  Is this a phenomenon that is
restricted to American English, or does it also occur in British
English ?  And is this topic substantial enough for a 100-page
dissertation ?

Any relevant literature and interesting angles to appraoch this topic
would be greatly appreciated.

I will post a summary if there is enough interest.

Hubert Cuyckens
Department of Linguistics
University of Leuven
Blijde-Inkomststraat 21