10.90, Qs: Lang Attitude, Chinese Phrases, Lang & Genetics

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 20 15:20:53 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-90. Wed Jan 20 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.90, Qs: Lang Attitude, Chinese Phrases, Lang & Genetics

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:10:10 -0100
From:  a9255719 at unet.univie.ac.at
Subject:  Language attitudes

2)
Date:  Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:16:38 +0800
From:  "Arthur" <wang_jiayue at 163.net>
Subject:  Chinese phrase detecting

3)
Date:  Wed, 20 Jan 1999 07:51:08 -0500
From:  "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim at worldnet.att.net>
Subject:  Languages and genetics

Date:  Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:10:10 -0100
From:  a9255719 at unet.univie.ac.at

Dear LL,
I am a student at the University of Vienna English Language Department,
and am currently working on my MA Thesis with the topic "Language
attitudes in the US towards a Southern speech variety". I am therefore
looking for
a) references to very recent language attitude studies (primarily in the
English speaking world) to get a survey of current research trends in
the field as a whole
b) language attitude studies about the South of the USA
c) material on the Southern speech variety from a linguistic point of
view (articles, etc.)
d) material on American regional accents as a whole (the global
situation)

I would be very grateful for any information or references on my
topic(s).
Thank you very much in advance
and greetings from Austria
Barbara Soukup