10.118, FYI: GLOW Summer School

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 27 21:57:14 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-118. Wed Jan 27 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.118, FYI: GLOW Summer School

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 26 Jan 1999 11:29:22 -0800
From:  Ian Roberts <ian.roberts at po.uni-stuttgart.de>
Subject:  New announcement for GLOW Summer School

Date:  Tue, 26 Jan 1999 11:29:22 -0800
From:  Ian Roberts <ian.roberts at po.uni-stuttgart.de>

1999 THERMI INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL IN LINGUISTICS

EXTENDED DEADLINE FOR GRANT APPLICATIONS

5-30 July 1999

Outline

The overall goal of the Thermi International Summer School in
Linguistics is to promote current research in the major areas of
theoretical linguistics and make it available to young researchers
from around the world. To that end, a number of advanced courses on
selected topics are organised under the auspices of GLOW. Previous
GLOW summer schools were held in Salzburg, Austria, in 1979, 1982 and
1985, in Girona, Catalonia/Spain, in 1990, 1992, 1994 and 1996, and in
Olomouc, Czech Republic, in 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1997.

Organisation and venue

The 1999 Summer School is organised by GLOW and the University of
Patras. It will be held at a conference centre in Thermi, a small
village on the coast 12km/7 miles from Mytilene, Island of Lesbos,
Greece. For further information about Lesbos, see
http://www.travel-greece.com/aegean/lesvos.html and
http://www.lesvos.compulink.gr

The organising committee is:

Ian Roberts (Stuttgart)
Angeliki Ralli (Patras)
Marina Nespor (Ferrara)
Henk van Riemsdijk (Tilburg)

The Summer School is sponsored by the following organisations:

The European Union, GLOW, the Ministry of the Aegean, the Greek Ministry
of Culture, the Prefecture of Lesbos and the Municipality of Thermi.

Workshop

There will be a workshop on Tense and Aspect, organised by Tim Stowell
and Sabine Iatridou, on July 17th-18th. Full details and a call for
papers will be published in the Spring 1999 GLOW Newsletter.

Course fees

Course fees are as follows:
A.   Full enrolment (all courses for four weeks): US$400
B.   Partial enrolment (two weeks only): US$250
Please note that there is an additional general registration fee of
US$35.

Grants

Grants are available to partially cover the cost of travel and
accommodation. All grants include a fee waiver. We expect to offer 10
grants for students who are citizens of European Union countries
(whatever their country of residence), funded by the European
Commission, and 10 grants for non-EU citizens, funded by GLOW. To
apply for a grant, please write, enclosing a CV and a statement of
your research interests, to:

Ian Roberts
Institut fr Linguistik/Anglistik
Universitt Stuttgart
Keplerstrae 17
D-70174 Stuttgart
Germany

or e-mail:

ian.roberts at po.uni-stuttgart.de

by February 28th, 1999. Successful applicants will be notified by March
31st, 1999.

Program

4 week courses (July 5th-30th)

Ian Roberts (Stuttgart)                 "Introduction to Syntax"
Sabine Iatridou (MIT)               "Introduction to the
Syntax-Semantics Interface"
Giuseppe Longobardi (Trieste)                "The Syntax and Semantics
of DPs"
Harry van der Hulst & Nancy Ritter (Leiden)	"The Syntax of Segments: A
Head-driven Approach to Phonotactics"
Sabine Iatridou (MIT) & Elena Anagnostopoulou (Rethymnon)	"Issues in
Syntax"
Gennaro Chierchia (Milan)	"Issues in the stucture of the DP and the
syntax-semantic map"

2 week courses: July 5th-16th

Marina Nespor (Ferrara)                 "Phrasal Phonology"
Diamandis Gafos (New York)              "Topics in Prosodic Morphology"
Edwin Williams (Princeton)                   "Morphosyntax"
Henk van Riemsdijk (Tilburg)            "Late lexical insertion"
Anna-Maria di Sciullo (UQAM)            "Local asymmetries"
Mara-Luisa Rivero (Ottawa)                  "Balkan and Slavic
Comparative Syntax"

2 week courses: July 19th-30th

Angela Ralli (Patras)                      	"Topics in Comparative
Morphology and Dialectal Variation"
Anna Roussou (Cyprus)                   "Minimalism and Empty
Categories"
Andrea Moro (San Raffaele, Milan)            "Dynamic Antisymmetry"
Tim Stowell (UCLA)                      "The Syntax of Quantification"
Maria-Teresa Guasti (Siena)            	"Developmental Psycholinguistics
within the Principles & Parameters Model"

The Intercultural Education Centre of the University of Patras will
offer an intensive course in Modern Greek (elementary level) at no extra
charge.

- -------------------------------------
Registration form

Please complete this form and return it to the address below (by fax or
e-mail to Tsokoglou, by
snail-mail to Ralli).

Registration

Title________________ First name ______________ Last name
_______________________

Affiliation

Address

Tel ____________________ Fax _____________________ E-mail
______________________

Please indicate how long you would like to register for:   four weeks
two weeks.
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accomodation

There are three locations where you can stay in Thermi:

1) Village Thermi (20m - 200m from the Conference Center)

    23   2- or 3-bed  apartments      prices per day:  1 person
5.000 - 6.000 drs

2 persons   5.000 - 8.000 drs

3 persons   6.000 - 10.000 drs

  >>> All apartments have private bathrooms, most of them have cooking
facilities and refrigerator.

2) Coast  (1.000m - 1.200 m from the Conference Center, there is a
regular bus service to the Village, approximately every half hour)

   66 apartments with 2 - 3 or 4 beds     prices per day: 2 persons
5.000 - 9.000 drs

3 persons   7.000 - 10.000 drs

4 persons   10.000 - 13.000 drs

    >>> All apartments have private bathrooms, cooking facilities and
refrigerator.

3) Pyrgi Thermi (1.500 - 2.500 m from the Conference Center, there is a
regular bus service to the Village, approximately every half hour)

   70 apartments with 2 - 3 or 4 beds     prices per day: 2 persons
7.500 - 13.000 drs

3 persons   6.500 - 16.000 drs

4 persons   11.000 - 18.000 drs

                           5      single bedrooms
prices:                   7.000 - 8.000 drs

                           1  apartment with two bedrooms (with a
private bathroom for each bedroom)   price: 25.000 drs
                           3  apartments with two
rooms                                         price: 16.000 drs
                           1  apartment with two
rooms                                           price: 14.000 drs

    >>> All apartments have private bathrooms, cooking facilities and
refrigerator.

If you would like us to organise housing for you, please fillout the
following form:
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Housing Application Form

I am:                 male                    female

I want to stay in:    Village Thermi            Coast
Thermi                 Pyrgi Thermi

I am interested in a       single room

I want to share with       1 person             2 persons
3 persons

I want to share the apartment with

In the price of:   circa.......................... drs

Other wishes: ..........................................
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Payment: The General Registration Fee is US$35/GBP20/DM50/EU30,
payable in any of these currencies. Please make sure that payment is
accompanied by a clear indication of the participant's name. Bear in
mind that all charges made by banks in effecting payment must be
covered by the participant. Bank Transfer to Ergobank S.S.A., Kavetsou
16, 81100 Mytilene, Greece in the name of Ralli Angela, account number
119/01832-00010/39.
Tel: +30-251-47692.
Fax: +30-251-47696. Swiftcode: ERGOGRAA.
A copy of the transfer should be sent as proof of payment.

Secretariat:
Angeliki Tsokoglou: angel at ath.forthnet.gr. Tel/Fax : 30-1-8659749.
Snail-mail correspondence should be addressed to: Angela Ralli,
Linguistics Section, Dept of Philology (for Thermi Summer School),
University of Patras, 26500 Rio, Patras, Greece.
Fax: +30-61-996-195.
e-mail: aralli at atlas.uoa.gr