10.126, Disc: Adjectives to Verbs

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 28 20:53:58 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-126. Thu Jan 28 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.126, Disc: Adjectives to Verbs

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 23 Jan 1999 09:36:03 +0000
From:  "Ingo Plag" <plag at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE>
Subject:  Re: 10.105, Disc: Adjectives to Verbs

2)
Date:  Sun, 24 Jan 1999 11:54:38 -0500
From:  "John M. Lawler" <jlawler at umich.edu>
Subject:  Re: 10.84, Disc: Adjectives to Verbs

3)
Date:  Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:26:42 -0500 (EST)
From:  Bitjaa Kody Zachee Denis <bitjaakz at MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA>
Subject:  Re: 10.97, Disc: Adjectives to Verbs

4)
Date:  Mon, 25 Jan 1999 09:35:43 +0100 (MET)
From:  dag.gundersen at inl.uio.no (Dag Gundersen)

Date:  Sat, 23 Jan 1999 09:36:03 +0000
From:  "Ingo Plag" <plag at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE>

Dear colleagues,

those interested in the productivity, semantics and phonology of
derived verbs in English may be interested in reading the second part
of my forthcoming book (due January 1999) 'Morphological
Productivity: Structural Constraints in English Derivation' (Mouton
de Gruyter), which is an indepth study of hundreds of 20th century
neologisms, all of them derived verbs of various categories (IZE,
IFY, ATE, EN-, -EN, ZERO etc.). The data come from the OED on CD-ROM
and from the cobuild corpus.

Perhaps the most surprising finding is that the putatively rival
affixes are more or less in complementary distribution,
governed by phonological, morphological and semantic constraints.
Where the constraints allow more than one kind of derived verb, more
than one type of derived verb is  often attested. In other words, we
can indeed make rather precise predictions about possible and
impossible derived verbs.

Best,

Ingo Plag
(Marburg, Germany)