10.1015, Disc: Masaki Oda's claims of English centrism in JALT

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jul 1 02:44:28 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1015. Wed Jun 30 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1015, Disc: Masaki Oda's claims of English centrism in JALT

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 29 Jun 1999 18:36:12 +0900
From:  Joseph Tomei <jtomei at kumagaku.ac.jp>
Subject:  Response to Masaki Oda's comments on JALT

2)
Date:  Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:49:03 +0900
From:  Charles Jannuzi <jannuzi at ThePentagon.com>
Subject:  Response to Masaki Oda's chapter in Braine's new book

Date:  Tue, 29 Jun 1999 18:36:12 +0900
From:  Joseph Tomei <jtomei at kumagaku.ac.jp>

[On Monday, June 28, LINGUIST posted a review of George Braine's new
book Non-Native Educators in English Language Teaching (Review by Mae
Wlazlinski, LINGUIST Review, 10.999.)  We received several messages
with comments concerning the chapter by Masaki Oda and its topic of
English centrism in Japan, specifically in JALT.  The messages are
included here and we open up discussion on the matter.]

I'd like to thank Professor Wlazinski for her review of George
Braine's Non-Native Educators in English Language Teaching. I did want
to take issue with some of the points mentioned in one of the chapters
that she summarized, that of Masaki Oda's. I should point out that I
am not questioning Professor Wlazinski's summary, but rather the
information given by Professor Oda.

>    In chapter 8, Masaki Oda contends that the power wielded by native
>speaker
>teachers of English is unjustifiably strong even in EFL settings.  In the
>case of JALT, the TESOL affiliate in Japan, where one expects that it is
>more efficacious to maintain a bilingual policy in administration,
>information dissemination, conferences, everything leans towards exclusive
>use of English. This is no surprise considering that 100% of the members of
>the highest decision-making body are NSs.

Because JALT is a volunteer organization, a bilingual policy, though
undoubtedly more efficient, cannot function if there are a limited number
of Japanese speakers who volunteer. Likewise, the highest decision making
body in JALT is totally composed of elective officers. The dearth of
Japanese participants is not something that can be solved by fiat.

Another problem that seems to have been overlooked is that most
foreign university English educators in Japan have no access to
tenure. The Japanese university 'equivalent' of JALT, JACET (the
Japanese Association of College English Teachers) has taken no stand
on this matter, while JALT, though not taking sides in any specific
labor dispute, has rejected discrimination by race, age, gender or
nationality. For more background on this issue, I highly recommend
Ivan Hall's book 'Cartels of the Mind', which details the systematic
way in which education, along with three other fields, has been
subject to barriers. For a particular instance of the kind of barriers
foreigners face, please check out the Japan Policy Research
Institute's paper entitled 'Combatting Discrimination at a Japanese
University' http://www.jpri.org/public/wp58.html

In addition, because the foundation of JALT (now celebrating it's 23rd
anniversary) was in large part due to foreign teachers, the structure
of the organization is not as strictly hierarchical as a corresponding
Japanese organization would be. This, along with other factors, has
led to a majority of the membership to be foreign.

Given this background, it is understandable, though unfortunate, that
JALT has developed as a 'native-speaker' organization, given the
inequalities in the power structure that exists in Japan. While it is
true that the native/non-native power imbalance is problematic, the
summary suggests that Professor Oda has given a short shrift to these
other factors.

>Oda disputes the unspoken
>expectation for members to have an advanced level of English proficiency,
>so they can access materials and programs, partake of the opportunities for
>professional advancement, or participate in the day to day affairs of an
>organization whose membership includes EFL, French, and Japanese as a
>second language teachers. The organization's exclusive support of English,
>according to Oda, bolsters the false superiority of the native speaker
>teacher which contradicts common sense and educational research findings
>that  NNS teachers are experts of the local culture, understanding  tacit
>assumptions in terms of expected behaviors that NS may not be privy to or
>do not care to validate.

If the majority of members in an organization are native speakers, to
ask them to 'support' Japanese, even though the Japanese target
population has remained aloof from the organization, seems to be
asking a lot, especially in an age of shrinking budgets. For example,
at the 1995 JALT National conference, bilingual interpretation for the
plenary speakers talks was given, but only 100 people took advantage
of it. It would have been completely unaffordable had it not been for
the efforts of volunteer translators.

It should be also pointed out that Professor Oda has had several
opportunities to discuss this issue in one of JALT's publications 'The
Language Teacher', but has been unable to present a practical form for
making the organization 'bi-lingual'. Thus, the implication that JALT
does not become bilingual because of the vested interest of native
speakers merits some skepticism.

Joseph Tomei
Kumamoto Gakuen Daigaku
Department of Foreign Languages
Oe 2 chome, 5-1,  Kumamoto 862-0911 JAPAN
(81) (0)96-364-5161 x1410
fax (81) (0)96-372-0702
jtomei at kumagaku.ac.jp
http://www.kumagaku.ac.jp/teacher/~jtomei/index.html