10.1025, Sum: Speech science and L2 responses

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jul 2 18:42:09 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1025. Fri Jul 2 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1025, Sum: Speech science and L2 responses

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 1 Jul 1999 11:24:49 EDT
From:  Cor9999 at aol.com
Subject:  Speech science and L2 responses

Date:  Thu, 1 Jul 1999 11:24:49 EDT
From:  Cor9999 at aol.com

I wish to thank every one for their suggestions, and I always welcome
more!  The following are excerpts from several messages I've received

Geoff Nathan:
take a look at
Nathan, Geoffrey S. 1987   On the acquisition of aspiration.
Interlanguage Phonology, ed. by Georgette Ioup.  Newbury Press, pp.
204-212.

_______ 1997 On the non-acquisition of an English sound pattern. in
Second Language Speech:  Structure and Process, edited by Allan James
and Jonathan Leather, Berlin:  Walter de Gruyter.  pp. 181-186.
and the references cited therein.

Annie L. Clark:
I recommend looking up the many papers written by James Flege on foreign
accent and L2 learning.

As well, there are some very old papers by Lisker and Abramson, and one by
Caramazza et al, and a newer one by Francois Grosjean.

Holly Nibert:
*Flege, J. E., M. J. Munro, & I. R. A. MacKay.  1995.  "Factors affecting
strength of perceived foreign accent in a second language."
Journal of the Acoustic Society of America 97 (5):3125-3134.

This second article is good as a lit. review.  In it, you'll find a fairly
comprehensive list of his work and that of others.

*Flege, J. E.  1995.  "Second Language Speech Learning:  Theory, Findings, and
Problems."  In Speech Perception and Linguistic Experience: Issues in
Cross-Language Speech Research, ed. Winifred Strange, pp. 233-277.
Timonium, MD:  York Press.

Alice Faber:
your best starting point would be to do a Lit Search (PsychInfo or PsychLit)
for papers by James Flege. ... There's also a large literature on training
Japanese speakers to do better with English R and L. Names to look for are
David Pisoni (with a variety of co-authors), Winifred Strange & Catherine
Best.