10.1040, Disc: Re: Corpora: Query/Disc: Prep+relative who

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 7 02:57:47 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1040. Tue Jul 6 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1040, Disc: Re: Corpora: Query/Disc: Prep+relative who

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 01 Jul 1999 09:45:26 -0300
From:  Steve Finch <steve.finch at thomson.com>
Subject:  Re: Corpora: Query/Discussion: Prep+relative who

2)
Date:  Thu, 1 Jul 1999 14:43:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:  "James L. Fidelholtz" <jfidel at siu.buap.mx>

3)
Date:  Thu, 1 Jul 1999 16:58:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:  "Dan I. SLOBIN" <slobin at cogsci.Berkeley.EDU>

Date:  Thu, 01 Jul 1999 09:45:26 -0300
From:  Steve Finch <steve.finch at thomson.com>

In message <199907010617.IAA19269 at hilde.hit.uib.no>, Carsten Breul writes:

>Do native-speakers of English actually use Prep+relative   who? In other
>words: Do you think that the sentences may  very well be correct

Native English speakers have lots of bad schoolday memories about the
word "whom", I think!  In speech, it sounds pretentious.  In general
we don't get when to use it, so we avoid constructions where it might
be deemed necessary.

>representations of the text-producers'  usage? Or would you consider it
>likely that there are  printing/typing (or transcription) errors
>involved here  (omission of 'm' in 'who'), which distort the picture? (I
>think my question points to a, perhaps seldom  relevant,  but
>nevertheless interesting problem for corpus linguistics  if low
>frequency features are concerned: How  sure can we  be that the corpus
>represents text-production  authentically?)

I think this reflects native speakers' confusion about when to use
"whom".  If you analysed the use of the apostrophe, you would find
similar (probably worse) data.  Most of the sentences look like very
plausible "misuses" of the word "who".  (2), however, is perfectly
acceptable; 'whom' sounds very odd there.

These aren't typos; they do indeed reflect real usage of a confusing
word, IMHO.

- Steve.