10.1049, Disc: Query/Discussion: Prep+relative who

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jul 9 02:34:21 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1049. Thu Jul 8 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1049, Disc: Query/Discussion: Prep+relative who

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 07 Jul 1999 13:30:33 -0700
From:  Ed Finegan <Finegan at USC.edu>
Subject:  Re: Corpora: Query/Discussion: Prep+relative who

2)
Date:  Thu, 08 Jul 1999 12:42:51 -0400
From:  "Robert L. Trammell" <Trammell at fau.edu>
Subject:  Query/Discussion: Prep+relative who

3)
Date:  Thu, 8 Jul 1999 14:22:15 -0500
From:  "William J. Crawford" <wcrawfor at facstaff.wisc.edu>
Subject:  Corpora: Query/Disc: Prep+relative who

Date:  Wed, 07 Jul 1999 13:30:33 -0700
From:  Ed Finegan <Finegan at USC.edu>

I missed Carsten Breul's original posting but infer from the replies of
Finch, Fidelholtz, and Slobin that he inquired about two things: the
grammaticality of eight examples of Prep+relative _who_ from the British
National Corpus and the reliability of corpus data for infrequent
features.

The replies suggest that _whom_ is dead or dying in English, and it does
seem doomed. But it is far from dead. As anyone can determine by
searching the online BNC,  Prep+relative _whom_ remains very much alive.
Granted its use in conversation and certain other registers of speech is
perhaps negligible as compared with some other registers. But I would
not want to say that the structure is no longer part of English anymore
than I'd want to rule lexical items out simply because their use is
limited principally to certain registers. If editors and some writers
prefer to use _whom_, that'd be no reason to lump them with 'pseudo
grammarians' (as Jim Fidelholtz may be implying he would) anymore than a
careful writer who searches for a more suitable word than the one that
jumps first to mind would be a pseudo lexicographer.

As to the transcription and editing of corpus texts, especially spoken
ones, achieving high degrees of accuracy isn't easy or cheap. Whether
all Breul's examples are accurately transcribed is tough to say,
although it may be noteworthy that he identifies an inaccuracy of
transcription in his example (2). Still, most of the examples are
probably transcribed accurately. But with so few examples, caution is
especially important.

That leaves the question of which registers the examples represent. BNC
online produces hundreds or even thousands of examples of Prep+relative
_whom_ , leaving Breul's handful of examples possibly marginal, whatever
their source.

Breul's citations come mostly from informal written registers such as
'church magazines and leaflets' (his example (1)) although at least one
is a book published by Routledge and another a magazine cited as
"Harpers & Queen. London: The National Magazine Company Ltd, 1999, pp.
??. 3864 s-units, 70773 words." (Note that even this citation may
contain an inaccuracy, with its date of 1999.)

At least certain aspects of language development seem to originate in
one or more registers and later get move into use in others. Language
diminution and language death can occur by reversing the process, that
is, with features diminishing in one register after another. Lexical
items are obvious examples of features that can be limited in registral
distribution, and some features of grammar seem likewise limited. What
isn't clear, although we probably all tend to side with Sapir on this,
is whether Prep+relative _whom_ will fade from use in all registers as
definitively as we sometimes seem to claim. And it isn't clear either to
what extent _whom_ was ever used in English conversation.

Ed Finegan
University of Southern California
Finegan at USC.edu