10.1121, Qs: Pitch range, Ebonics, Discourse Markers

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jul 24 20:22:35 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1121. Sat Jul 24 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1121, Qs: Pitch range, Ebonics, Discourse Markers

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:18:18 -0700
From:  Andrea Kortenhoven <andrea at turing.stanford.edu>
Subject:  Pitch range of non-native speakers

2)
Date:  Sat, 24 Jul 1999 02:03:59 EDT
From:  Myakamy at aol.com
Subject:  Ebonics

3)
Date:  Sat, 24 Jul 1999 06:00:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Haifaa Haggag <mhnour at yahoo.com>
Subject:  Discourse Markers

Date:  Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:18:18 -0700
From:  Andrea Kortenhoven <andrea at turing.stanford.edu>

I'm wondering if anyone knows of work dealing with the pitch range of
native speakers of tone languages when speaking English (or any non-tone
language). I would expect that when speaking a non-tone language, these
speakers may make use of a wider pitch range.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
andrea

<andrea at csli.stanford.edu>