10.1123, FYI: Epos speech system, Cascadilla Press Sale

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jul 24 20:34:01 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1123. Sat Jul 24 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1123, FYI: Epos speech system, Cascadilla Press Sale

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:53:49 +0200
From:  Petr Horak <horak at ure.cas.cz>
Subject:  Epos speech system announcement.

2)
Date:  Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:52:52 -0400
From:  Michael Bernstein <michael at cascadilla.com>
Subject:  Cascadilla Press Summer Sale

Date:  Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:53:49 +0200
From:  Petr Horak <horak at ure.cas.cz>

We would like to announce Epos, a language independent TTS system
primarily designed to serve as a research tool.  Epos is available for
download under the General Public License at http://epos.ure.cas.cz/
including documentation and the full source code.

The present version includes configuration files for Czech and Slovak
languages only, but we are planning to support some other languages in
a medium-distant future using the MBROLA speech synthesizer, and we
shall be glad to provide the necessary support for preparing a
rule-driven configuration for other languages, or a speech segment
inventory compatible with one of our synthesizers.

In theory, Epos can be compiled using any C++ compiler (e.g. a
reasonably recent version of GNU C++, MS Visual C++, Watcom C++, or
Borland C++ Builder), and should run on most UNIX-like operating
systems and Windows NT (the NT port is somewhat less stable due to
still inadequate testing).  Epos speaks using the /dev/dsp device on
UNIX platforms, and it generates Microsoft RIFF wave files (.wav)
under Windows NT.  Its hardware requirements are modest.

You can send any additional questions or bug reports to the Epos
developer mailing list: epos at braille.mff.cuni.cz or have a look at the
documentation at http://epos.ure.cas.cz/epos.html

The Epos team