10.817, Jobs: Computational Linguist, University Of Arizona

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jun 3 19:56:52 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-817. Tue May 25 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.817, Jobs: Computational Linguist, University Of Arizona

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 24 May 1999 18:46:44 -0700
From:  pvanmeurs at tegic.com
Subject:  Tegic Communications Computational linguist

2)
Date:  Tue, 25 May 1999 09:23:19 -0700
From:  jennieb at u.arizona.edu
Subject:  position announcement

Date:  Mon, 24 May 1999 18:46:44 -0700
From:  pvanmeurs at tegic.com

Tegic Communications (http://www.tegic.com) is looking for a
computational linguist.

The computational linguist will be responsible for research and
development to support Tegic's text input system in a variety of
languages. If you are interested in working in the fast paced,
exciting area of research and development of commercial software at
the "cutting edge" of technology, then this is a job which will
provide you with such opportunities. Tegic offers many additional
benefits, including health insurance, dental, 401K plan, and
(privately held) stock options.

Required:

     Degree in computational linguistics with emphasis on lexicography,
     knowledge extraction and morphological analysis
     Experience with development of commercial software products
     Experience with research in computational linguistics
     Strong programming skills

Desired:

     Familiarity with a large number of languages (preferably Eastern
     European/Semitic/Asian)
     Familiarity with the analysis of large corpora
     5+ years of experience in the field of computational linguistics
     Active participation in the community of computational linguistics
     Familiarity with C/C++, Perl, Windows NT operating system, compression
     algorithms helpful

Company Background:

Tegic Communications (http:/www.tegic.com) is a fast growing company
which offers very competitive salaries.

Tegic Communications, has developed software which allows users to
enter text on wireless devices such as wireless phones or pagers in a
fast and efficient manner.  We have been very successful in securing
licenses with most of the major cell phone manufacturers and many of
the smaller companies.

Unlike the "multi-tap' method in which the user has to tap the
"2-ABC"-key three times to get a "c" for instance, the user can just
hit the "2-ABC" key once. The software will determine which word the
user is likely to be typing. In order for this to work in a variety of
languages we require an understanding of how people actually use the
language.

For this we have developed an extensive suite of tools to analyze
large amounts of text corpora. The contributions a computational
linguist could make here are numerous. We are dealing with issues of
corpus selection, corpus classification, performance analysis,
morphological analysis and generation, word compounding, syntactical
analysis, text segmentation and many more. We are offering an
opportunity for the computational linguist to do research in many
areas. We are looking for someone who has research experience as well
as the ability to identify areas of improvement for our products and
deliver a solution, all in a timely manner.

We have developed our technology for a dozen languages as well as
Chinese (stroke and phonetic based) and Japanese. Each language has
its own challenges and we are expanding quickly into many additional
languages.

We are also looking into expanding into new technologies to broaden
our product base. This will require identification of and research
into many new opportunities, research for which we need the
contributions of a skilled computational linguist.

If you have any additional questions please contact me via e-mail.

Pim van Meurs
Manager Computational Linguistics
Linguistic Research and Development Group
Tegic Communications
2001 Western Ave Suite 210
Seattle WA 98121
(206) 343-7001	Phone