10.854, Qs: Lentition/Fortition, Langs of Native California

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 7 16:37:24 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-854. Mon Jun 7 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.854, Qs: Lentition/Fortition, Langs of Native California

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 05 Jun 1999 19:27:29 +0200
From:  Tobias Scheer <Tobias.Scheer at unice.fr>
Subject:  Lenition/Fortition

2)
Date:  Thu, 27 May 1999 16:28:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Andreas Kathol <kathol at socrates.berkeley.edu>
Subject:  Bibliographical information needed on California languages

Date:  Sat, 05 Jun 1999 19:27:29 +0200
From:  Tobias Scheer <Tobias.Scheer at unice.fr>

we should like to submit the following query to the phonological community,
which aims at drawing the (exhaustive, if possible) typological picture of
lenition and fortition:

ceteris paribus, out of the five contexts

#__       Coda__      __.C      __#       V__V

that exhaust the logical possibilities for a consonant to occur in (let
aside the second member of a branching Onset),

WHICH ARE THE POSITIONS THAT TRIGGER LENITION/ FORTITION?

We are particularly interested in disjunctive contexts. For instance,
__{C,#} refers to two conexts in which a phonological process takes place,
to the exclusion of the three others {#__, Coda__, V__V}. This specific
disjunctive context is known as the Coda.
The full text of this query, which is available at (hopefully from Monday
7.6.1999, in any case as soon as possible)

http://ancilla.unice.fr/posfora.html

includes a table of all 31 logically possible combinations of the 5
positions a consonant can come to stand in, i.e. pairs of contexts,
triplets and quadriplets.
Our questions are:
1. among the language(s) you konw where the positional influence on
segments may be identified, in which of the 31 combinations (and to the
exclusion of the complementary set) does lenition/ fortition occur?
2. which are the predictions your theory makes in regard of lenition and
fortition? Which is the subset of those 31 combinations it predicts
lenition/ fortition may/ may not/ must occur in?
3. do you, does your theory predict implicational relationships between a
context X in which lenition/ fortition occurs and another context Y, in
which lenition/ fortition should/ may/ may not occur in case it is observed
in context X?

This query is posted in preparation of a conference on Lenition/ Fortition,
to be held in Nice/ France on 24-25 June 1999. All relevant information is
available at the above mentioned web-page.

We will issue a summary of data and opinions collected.
Please consult the full text at http://ancilla.unice.fr/posfora.html

Joaquim Brand\227o de Carvalho
Tobias Scheer
Philippe S\233g\233ral