10.1005, All: Volunteer Log-keepers Needed

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 29 14:15:36 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1005. Tue Jun 29 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1005, All: Volunteer Log-keepers Needed

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 29 Jun 1999 08:44:42 -0400
From:  Helen Aristar Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Subject:  Volunteer log-keepers needed

Date:  Tue, 29 Jun 1999 08:44:42 -0400
From:  Helen Aristar Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>

Dear Subscribers,

Would any of you be willing to keep a log for 2 or 3 weeks of your
interactions with the LINGUIST website?  This log could be very
simple:  the main thing we want is a record of  your specific
objectives in coming to the site (e.g., "Mon, June 28:  searched for
job ads for syntacticians"), though we welcome any other
comments or suggestions you might want to include.

The background of this request is that we are trying to improve the
website's design and organization.  Many of you have told us that
you think LINGUIST has a wealth of information but that it is
sometimes hard to find what you want.  We agree.  And we are
now attacking the problem with the help of some professional web
designers. We hope to improve site design and navigation
substantially in the course of the coming year.

But the first step iin the process is user-testing.  The web
designers have suggested conducting local interviews to find out
what users want from our site.  However,  we want to make sure
that the whole range of  LINGUIST users is represented, not just
those who happen to be in our local area.  It seems important to
hear from all kinds of researchers, scholars, job-hunters, teachers,
and students, and especially important to hear from users in
different parts of the world.

So please let me know at
	hdry at linguistlist.org
if you are willing to keep a log or otherwise report on your
experiences with the website.  Your feedback will be a big help in
our attempt to make LINGUIST more useful to you.  And, as
always, we greatly appreciate your participation in our projects and
your support of our goals.

Helen, Anthony, and Andrew
LINGUIST Moderators

Helen Aristar Dry
hdry at linguistlist.org
Dept. of English Language and Literature
Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
(734) 741 1567