10.335, Qs: Throat Singing, Con clusters, Syntax, Italian

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 4 18:22:35 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-335. Thu Mar 4 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.335, Qs: Throat Singing, Con clusters, Syntax, Italian

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 2 Mar 1999 23:35:15 -0600
From:  "Anthony M. Lewis" <am-lewis at students.uiuc.edu>
Subject:  The articulatory gestures of Tuvan throat singing

2)
Date:  Wed, 03 Mar 1999 01:54:17 PST
From:  Hideo Yamada <hyamada at csulb.edu>
Subject:  English consonant clusters VS Japanese phonology

3)
Date:  Wed, 3 Mar 1999 13:18:54 -0500 (EST)
From:  Tamara Rae Neuberger <tamara18 at bu.edu>
Subject:  Lang Acquisition -- Syntax

4)
Date:  Wed, 3 Mar 1999 19:08:39 -0500 (EST)
From:  "Jillian R. Cavanaugh" <jrc6207 at is4.nyu.edu>
Subject:  Etruscan & Latin

Date:  Tue, 2 Mar 1999 23:35:15 -0600
From:  "Anthony M. Lewis" <am-lewis at students.uiuc.edu>

Dear friends,

	My question has to do with the vocal configurations assumed by the
traditional Tuvan throat singers of Siberia.  For those of you who may not
be familiar, the Tuvan Autonomous Republic is a central territory of the
Russian Federation situated on the border of Russia and Mongolia.  This
particular style of singing (also known as "overtone" singing, and attested
in other parts of the world) is most notably characterized by the singer's
production of (at least ) a single, fundamental musical note, accompanied
by the corresponding overtones (presumably, harmonics, of the fundamental
tone).  The perceptual effect is that of a robust, whistling, almost
chord-like nature.

	I have two rather simple questions regarding this phenomenon:
first, is this unique acoustic effect the result of a highly coordinated
posturing of the vocal folds (e.g., a complex setting of register(s)... a
la "soprano" in voice science terminology)?; purely supra-laryngeal in
nature?; or a combination of both?.  My suspicion is that the robust
percept is purely the result of sustaining a configuration of the
supra-laryngeal cavity which enhances certain (resonant) frequencies of the
fundamental tone.  I'd be most interested to hear alternative accounts
(e.g., complex laryngeal posturing, contribution of the pharyngeal wall,
etc.).  My second question asks whether or not Tuvan singers (or any other
"overtone" singers for that matter) are capable of producing more than a
single "fundamental" tone (and, presumably, the corresponding harmonics) at
the same time.  This, as far as I can figure, would require the vocal folds
to vibrate simultaneously at two different fundamental frequencies.

	If responses warrant, I will most pleased to post a summary to the
list.

Anthony M. Lewis

Anthony M. Lewis
Department of Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese

e-mail to:  am-lewis at uiuc.edu