10.362, Qs: Apostrophe-s, Software, Phonemes, Attitudes

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 9 07:21:04 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-362. Tue Mar 9 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.362, Qs: Apostrophe-s, Software, Phonemes, Attitudes

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 5 Mar 1999 15:46:03 -0800 (PST)
From:  David Robertson <drobert at tincan.tincan.org>
Subject:  Earliest attestation of "greengrocer's apostrophe-s"?

2)
Date:  Sun, 07 Mar 1999 01:09:03 -0800
From:  "Sean Armstrong" <sdjtarm at kvalley.com>
Subject:  Software for Speech Analysis

3)
Date:  Sun, 7 Mar 1999 19:27:15 +0200 (EET)
From:  Mohamed Farouk Noamany <iocc at ritsec1.com.eg>
Subject:  Arabic Phonemes

4)
Date:  Mon, 8 Mar 1999 12:14:15 +0100
From:  "Damon Allen Davison" <davison at uni-koeln.de>
Subject:  Language attitudes

Date:  Fri, 5 Mar 1999 15:46:03 -0800 (PST)
From:  David Robertson <drobert at tincan.tincan.org>

Hello,

Following up on a previous thread here, I'm interested in knowing about
the earliest examples of the "greengrocer's apostrophe-s".  (That is the
nonstandard / incorrect use of the English-language singular possessive
suffix, usually to mark noun plurality or 3rd-person singular present
tense.)

In a photograph from about 1912, in the book "Oregon the Way it Was", by
Edwin D. Culp (Caldwell, ID:  Caxton, 1989), on page 158, there is an
advertisement painted on the front of the Elliott Ford [automobile] Agency
offering "Oil's Gasoline and Greases".

Anyone seen an earlier example?  I will post a summary if warranted.

Dave Robertson

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html