10.376, FYI: NLP/Trans Story, Commentator/BBS, Radio Program

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Mar 10 14:57:18 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-376. Wed Mar 10 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.376, FYI: NLP/Trans Story, Commentator/BBS, Radio Program

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 6 Mar 1999 16:46:58 +0200 (EET)
From:  Deborah D K Ruuskanen <druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi>
Subject:  NLP and Translation/A reminder

2)
Date:  Mon, 8 Mar 1999 20:43:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:  Stevan Harnad <harnad at coglit.soton.ac.uk>
Subject:  Neurology of Syntax: BBS Call for Commentators

3)
Date:  Tue, 09 Mar 1999 20:13:21 -0500
From:  "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim at worldnet.att.net>
Subject:  Re: 10.363: FYI radio program

Date:  Sat, 6 Mar 1999 16:46:58 +0200 (EET)
From:  Deborah D K Ruuskanen <druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi>

For those of you involved in NLP, computer translation, and translation
theory, an excerpt from a recent article by Joan Tate, a working
translator who for some 30 years has translated Swedish, Norwegian,
Danish, and Finnish-Swedish literature into English.  A salutary
reminder that the ultimate consumer of your research is someone you are,
hopefully, collaborating with: the professional translator.

The machinery is expensive.  As the local man was not terribly au fait
with either the machine or what I wanted it for, the Area Manager said
he would come and show me.  He came, a wiry snappily dressed man all the
way from Leeds.  He brought with him a very pretty girl in a female grey
business suit and floppy tie, and it turned out she could type, which I
can't, and neither could the Area Manager, nor the local man, who was
also there, all four of us squashed in my very small work room.  "Let me
just run through what you can do with this," said the Area Manager. He
then rattled off a long list of the miracles the machine could achieve,
and the miracles I could achieve with the machine.  I had to stop him in
mid-flow, as apart from all that being too much to take in at one time,
it was clear he didn't know what I did.  To this day, I think he at
first thought I was a professional typist.  When I told him I couldn't
touch-type but just rattled on with two fingers, making numerous
mistakes, for which this machine would be perfect as I would conjure
them away as if by magic, and as if they had never been made in the
first place.  "But what do you do?" he said. "I write," I said. "Books,
stories, anything.  And I translate."   "Show me," he said, rather
sensibly.
I usually dry up completely if someone stands behind me watching, and
not a word comes into my head.  So I propped the book I was translating
at the time up on the plate-holder I had in front of the keyboard and
rattled off about a paragraph, practising the magical removal of endless
misprints at the same time.  There was a silence, then the man pointed
at the book and said:  "That's Swedish, is it?" "Yes," I said.  "Someone
else has written it, and I put it into English and then it is published
in this country or America.  I get paid to do that."  Another silence.
Then he pointed at the screen and said:  "And that's English, I can see
that."  There was another long pause, the other two in the room
apparently holding their breath.  Then the man said, quite innocently:
"But how does it work?"

Joan goes on:  Well, you tell me.  I don't know either, but it was an
interesting reaction.

Anyone who wants the whole article, please contact me off list.
Cheers, DKR
-
Deborah D. Kela Ruuskanen
Leankuja 1, FIN-01420 Van