10.395, Sum: Motherese and SLA

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 15 22:11:06 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-395. Mon Mar 15 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.395, Sum: Motherese and SLA

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:25:49 -0500 (EST)
From:  Laura Wagner <wagner at psych.umass.edu>
Subject:  Motherese and SLA

Date:  Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:25:49 -0500 (EST)
From:  Laura Wagner <wagner at psych.umass.edu>

Thanks to everyone who sent me references.

The reason I wrote in the first place was to help out a graduate
student here -- I wanted to make sure there was something out there on
this topic and give her a head start on references.  I discovered that
there is lots and lots of work going on about the influence of input
style on SLA, and so my reference list below reflects only the tip of
the iceberg.

Best,

Laura

***************************
Laura Wagner
Department of Psychology
UMass - Amherst
wagner at psych.umass.edu
****************************

Motherse in Second Language Acquisition -- References

Ellis, Rod (1995) Modified Oral Input and the Acquisition of Word
Meanings.  Applied Linguistics 16(4), 409-41.

Ellis, Rod (1994) Factors in the Incidental Acquisition of Second
Language Vocabulary from Oral Input: A Review Essay.  Applied Language
Learning 5(1), 1-32.

Faltis, Christian and Stephen D. Krashen (1984) A Commentary on
Krashen's Input Hypothesis. Tesol Quarterly 18(2), 352-357.

Freed, Barbara F. (1981) Foreigner Talk, Baby Talk, Native
Talk. International Journal of the Sociology of Language.28: 19-39.

Freed, Barbara F.  (1980)  Talking to Foreigners versus Talking to
Children: Similarities and Differences. In Scarcella, Robin C;
Krashen, Stephen D. (eds.), Research in Second Language Acquisition:
Selected Papers of the Los Angeles Second Language Acquisition
Research Forum.  19-27.

Golinkoff, Roberta and Anthony Alioto (1995) Infant-Directed Speech
Facilitates Lexical Learning in Adults Hearing Chinese: Implications
for Language Acquisition.  Journal of Child Language, 22(3) 703-26.

Golinkoff, Roberta, Kathy Hirsh-Pasek, Leslie M. Wenger and R. Neill
(1992) Young Children and Adults Use Lexical Principles to Learn New
Nouns. Developmental Psychology, 28(1), 99-108.

Hatch, Evelyn (1983) Simplified Input and Second Language
Acquisition. In Anderson, Roger W. (Ed) Pidginization and Creolization
as Language Acquisition. 64-86.

Wesche, Marjorie (1994) Input and Interaction in Second Language
Acquisition. In Gallaway, C.  and B. Richards (Eds), Input and
Interaction in Language Acquisition.  Cambridge Univeristy Press.

Wesche, Marjorie and Doreen Ready (1985) Foreigner Talk in the
University Classroom. In Gass, Susan and Carolyn Madden (Eds.)  Input
in Second Language Acquisition. 89-114.