10.442, Support: PhD Studentship/Natural Lang Processing/UK

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 25 20:16:26 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-442. Thu Mar 25 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.442, Support: PhD Studentship/Natural Lang Processing/UK

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 24 Mar 1999 09:42:44 GMT
From:  y.wilks at dcs.shef.ac.uk (Yorick Wilks)
Subject:  Studentship/Natural Language Processing

Date:  Wed, 24 Mar 1999 09:42:44 GMT
From:  y.wilks at dcs.shef.ac.uk (Yorick Wilks)

            Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council

              EPSRC Studentship: Natural Language Processing

Applications are invited for an EPSRC quota award research studentship
leading to a Ph. D. available immediately, from the UK Engineering and
Physical Sciences Research Council.  The award can be held full-time
over 3 years or part-time over a five year period. The research
studentship can be held in any area of language processing or
computational linguistics that falls within the general remit of EPSRC
funding and is related or complementary to our current research
activities.

The Department holds EPSRC research grants in the areas of text reuse
and architectures for natural language processing, and has recently
completed a project in grammar induction. We have related interests,
supported by EU and industrial grants in: Multi-media and multilingual
Information Extraction, Lexicons and lexical tuning, Belief and
knowledge structures, Categorial grammars and parsing, Hypertext
generation, Argument structure and Machine learning of dialogue
structures to model conversation.

Applicants should have a class I or II:1 Honours degree, or a II:II
class Honours degree plus a Masters degree or relevant research
experience. Full studentships including a basic maintenance award
currently of #8,060 pa are available to applicants with 3 years
qualifying residence in the UK (excluding full-time education).

Candidates may also wish to consult our NLP Web site
(http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/research/groups/nlp/), and the EPSRC
studentship handbook online at (http://www.epsrc.ac.uk/) which gives
full details of eligibility conditions and maintenance allowances.

Applications should include a CV, an outline of your relevant training
and experience, and a brief statement of the research areas that
interest you, plus the names and addresses of two academic referees.

Applications and requests for further information should be sent to
Professor Yorick Wilks (yorick at dcs.shef.ac.uk) and requests for forms
to apply officially should go to him and to k.barker@ who can supply
forms.