10.445, Qs: Jamaican, Japanese, French, Boustrophedon

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 26 05:02:23 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-445. Thu Mar 25 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.445, Qs: Jamaican, Japanese, French, Boustrophedon

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:54:11 -0500
From:  Elena Tapia <TAPIAE at ECSUC.CTSTATEU.EDU>
Subject:  Jamaican English Oral Discourse

2)
Date:  Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:56:29 -0000
From:  "orie fukutomi" <n9327544 at wlv.ac.uk>
Subject:  Zero Pronoun in Japanese

3)
Date:  Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:43:31 -0500 (EST)
From:  Aimee Johansen <johansen at bu.edu>
Subject:  Quebec French syntax

4)
Date:  Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:50:46 -0500
From:  Richard Sproat <rws at research.att.com>
Subject:  Boustrophedon Writing

Date:  Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:54:11 -0500
From:  Elena Tapia <TAPIAE at ECSUC.CTSTATEU.EDU>

Dear Linguists,

Could anyone point me to useful references on Jamaican English oral
discourse style?  I work with a well-educated, female administrator
who has a very circuitous way of discussing issues.  Additionally,
others have noted that it sometimes takes three hours (no
exaggeration) to "discuss a few points." I have said that her way of
communicating may simply be cross-culturally different.

	I'll post a summary.
	Thanks.
	Elena Tapia
	Eastern Connecticut State University