10.454, Qs: Spanish, Sign Language, Timing

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Mar 27 09:18:01 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-454. Sat Mar 27 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.454, Qs: Spanish, Sign Language, Timing

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:55:43 -0800
From:  Heather Bentley <h2omark at adnc.com>
Subject:  Spanish subjunctive endings -ra/-se

2)
Date:  Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:48:01 +0900
From:  Nobukatsu Minoura <minoura at fs.tufs.ac.jp>
Subject:  Russian Sign Language

3)
Date:  Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:07:57 +0200
From:  "Andries Coetzee" <KLSAWC at puknet.puk.ac.za>
Subject:  Syllable-timed and stress-timed

Date:  Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:55:43 -0800
From:  Heather Bentley <h2omark at adnc.com>

In the following Spanish sentence two forms are possible: "Deseaba que
llegara/llegase Juan" This translates roughly to "I hoped for Juan to
arrive" Most of the grammars I have consulted simply explain the two
forms as depending upon the whim of the speaker, but I am wondering
what grammatical/discourse conditions might be responsible.  Any
thoughts or references would be helpful.

Heather Bentley
h2omark at adnc.com