10.457, Qs: Whistling languages, Nasal stops, Logic

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Mar 28 22:22:31 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-457. Sun Mar 28 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.457, Qs: Whistling languages, Nasal stops, Logic

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 27 Mar 1999 14:00:04 -0600
From:  Bruce Downing <bdowning at tc.umn.edu>
Subject:  Whistling languages

2)
Date:  Sat, 27 Mar 1999 14:14:19 +0100
From:  David Gil <gil at eva.mpg.de>
Subject:  Preoralized nasal stops

3)
Date:  Sat, 27 Mar 1999 09:11:01 -0500
From:  "Marco Antonio Young Rabines" <fridmar at mail.cosapidata.com.pe>
Subject:  Logic for undegraduate students of linguistics

Date:  Sat, 27 Mar 1999 14:00:04 -0600
From:  Bruce Downing <bdowning at tc.umn.edu>

As a composer I am interested in the tonal aspects of language: in
inflection as a means of imparting shades of meaning; and especially,
in languages where tones in and of themselves carry meaning.

Some years ago I recall reading of a Whistling Language from the
Canary Islands, used in the recent past.  I would much appreciate
receiving information about recordings of *any* whistling language,
and also 'yodelling' languages (if these exist).  Please respond to me
privately at: jzaimont at worldnet.att.net .

All information received will be consolidated and posted to this list
at a later date.

Thank you.

Judith Lang Zaimont
Professor of Composition
School of Music - University of Minnesota

WEBsite:  http://209.46.94.163/jzaimont/