10.477, Qs: Learning proficiency, Bilingual Education

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 30 22:40:10 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-477. Tue Mar 30 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.477, Qs: Learning proficiency, Bilingual Education

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:04:12 +0800
From:  YOU Zhen <youzhen at pub.jlonline.com>
Subject:  Aptitude test & learning proficiency

2)
Date:  Mon, 29 Mar 1999 18:22:45 -0500 (EST)
From:  456lucas at wmich.edu
Subject:  Bilingual Education

Date:  Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:04:12 +0800
From:  YOU Zhen <youzhen at pub.jlonline.com>

Dear LINGUIST-netters:

For a better teaching result in the classroom, an aptitude test is
often used to predict if and how a language learner is successful in
his future learning. Now I want to see if any of you have found any
correlation between language aptitude tests and the proficiency of
your students. Furthermore, does anyone know of any empirical studies
of this?

Secondly, when it comes to L2 learning, what kind of aptitude tests
can be selected (L1 or L2 test) to predict the learner's future
learning proficiency? If it is the case of the latter (in which the L2
learning has not started), how could such a test be carried out? If
not, then, could the correlation between L1 aptitude test and L1
proficiency be similar to that of the same L1 aptitude test with a L2
proficiency?  Would anyone have any comments on that?

YOU Zhen
youzhen at pub.jlonline.com