10.655, Sum: English Roots/English Words

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue May 4 12:41:17 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-655. Tue May 4 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.655, Sum: English Roots/English Words

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 3 May 1999 18:25:14 -0400
From:  "Jack Williams" <jacla at ibm.net>
Subject:  English Roots within English Words/Completion Summary

Date:  Mon, 3 May 1999 18:25:14 -0400
From:  "Jack Williams" <jacla at ibm.net>

I am doing research on English roots and sememes.  I  was aware of books on
Latin roots of English  words; Greek roots; IDE roots, etc.  But I had not
seen any books listing English roots within its own language.

Three  recommendations were provided in the survey.  One of which was
directly relevant.

Norman Bird, 1990, A first handbook of the roots in English,  St. Helier
(Jersey): Lapine     Education & Language Services, pp.11-107 'The Germanic
Roots'
                Recommended  by Max Wheeler,     maxw at cogs.susx.ac.uk

Calvert Watkins, 1985.  The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European
Roots.  Houghton Mifflin:  Boston.
                Recommended by Terry Potter,
gt1704 at exmail.usma.army.mil

"English index in Grandsaignes d'Hauterives,_Les racines  des languages
indo-europeenes_, Larousse, circa 1950.
                   Recommended by Geoffrey Sampson   geoffs at cogs.susx.ac.uk

The first book contained a list of English roots.  Norman Bird also wrote:
2) The Distribution of Indo-European Root Morphemes (A checklist for
Philologists), 1982, Otto Harrassowitz, Wiesbaden.
In this book he reviewed Pokorny's IDE roots and numbered them.

In his 1992 book, beside each English root, he wrote the corresponding  IDE
number.

3) The Roots and Non-Roots of Indo-European (A Lexicostatisical Survey),
1993, Harrassowitz Verlag,  Wiesbaden.   The IDE roots are listed along with
his number and for each word  indicates usage in each applicable IDE
country.

I appreciate the assistance of the responders in identifying these elusive
books.

Thanks to the Linguist for  having a system that can locate books worldwide.

        Jack Williams