10.771, Sum: Metalinguistic Negation

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 20 14:00:32 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-771. Thu May 20 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.771, Sum: Metalinguistic Negation

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 20 May 1999 18:45:42 +0900
From:  "Hiroaki Tanaka" <hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp>
Subject:  Metalinguistic Negation

Date:  Thu, 20 May 1999 18:45:42 +0900
From:  "Hiroaki Tanaka" <hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp>

Dear all,
   I posted a query on "metalinguistic negation" several weeks ago, to
whcih I received several responses. Thank you very much for
answering my query. The respondents are the following:

Malcah Yaeger-Dror <malcah at U.Arizona.Edu>
Pierre Larrivee <p.larrivee at aston.ac.uk>
S. Neuwirth <Neuwirth at student.uni-kassel.de>
Bart Geurts <bart.geurts at mpi.nl>
John Phillips <john at john.hmt.yamaguchi-u.ac.jp>
Chungmin Lee <clee at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU>

Among them, Chungmin Lee of Seoul National University/UCLA
sent me his paper "CONTRASTIVE TOPIC: HOW IT IS TOPICAL AND
FOCAL-Evidence from Korean and English" through attached file,
which may have some concern with my analysis. Bart Geurts informed
me of the presence of his paper "The mechanism of denial" in
Language 74: 274-307, 1998, which was referred to as the most recent
paper about metalinguistic negation in one of the Japanese journals of
English literature and lingusitics several months ago. I read both of
them, but unfortunately there was very little mention to my analysis of
"reversal metalinguistic negation."   Geurts's paper was written as an
objection to Horn(1985, 1989) and Carston (1994), which I found very
intriguing.

   In case you don't know what my discussion was, I repeat my query
below.

Dear all,
   I'm working on "metalinguistic negation" currently discussed by
Horn (1989), Carston (1994, 1998) and many others. One thing I want
to investigate is the properties of "metalinguistic negation in reversal
order," as shown in (1b) below. (1a) is a standard example of
metalinguistic negation.

(1) a. I won't deprive you of my lecture on negation; I'll spare you it.
     b. I'll spare you my lecture on negation; I won't deprive you of it.

   Ordinarily, the first clause in standard metalinguistic negation of (1a)
is processed truth-conditionally, but the second clause causes the
hearer to contradict the contents of the negation of the first clause,
so that s/he is forced to go back to the first clause and interpret it
metalinguistically. These are the processes of 'contradictoriness' and
'garden-pathing.'

   What about (1b)? Carston (1994, 1998) claims that "it is very
unlikely that there is any garden-pathing, requiring double processing of
the negative sentence." She cites the following dialogue.

(2) A: Don't deprive us of your lecture on negation.
     B: I'll spare you my lecture on negation; I won't deprive you of it.

Double processing of the negative sentence such as (1a) means that
at first the hearer considers the first clause to be truth-functional
(ordinary) negation, but later s/he reconsiders it to be metalinguistic.
Carston says that there is no such processing in the second clause of
(2B). Do you agree with her? My idea is that on hearing the first clause
of B's response, speaker A considers it to be contradictory to what he
expected to be in his original utterance, i.e. B's giving lecture on
negation, in that double processing of the positive sentence occurs
there after A hears B's not depriving him of it. My query is: What is the
esential difference of (1a) and (1b, 2B)? I would appreciate it if you
make some similar examples with context of "reversal metalinguistic
negation."

   Thank you very much in advance. I'm looking forward to your reply.
I'll post a summary soon. Please e-mail me to the following address.