10.1664, Sum: Lexical Semantics

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Nov 3 06:41:34 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1664. Wed Nov 3 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1664, Sum: Lexical Semantics

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Naomi Ogasawara <naomi at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 2 Nov 1999 22:19:48 -0700 (MST)
From:  Heidi Harley <hharley at U.Arizona.EDU>
Subject:  Lexical semantics readings, one more time

Date:  Tue, 2 Nov 1999 22:19:48 -0700 (MST)
From:  Heidi Harley <hharley at U.Arizona.EDU>

Dear linguists --

My apologies for taking up so much bandwidth with this, but through an
inadvertent error on my part, a large chunk of the revised summary of
lexical semantics readings was omitted: everything from Frege to Ritter
and Rosen didn't appear in the list. Because there was a great deal of
interest in the list, it seems reasonable to supply the missing part. My
apologies --
best,

Heidi Harley

Freidin, Robert.  1997.  Review of Chomsky's _The minimalist program_.
Language 73:571-582.

> Goddard, Cliff (1998): Semantic Analysis. OUP.

> Goldberg, Adele E.  1995.  A Construction Grammar Approach to  Argument
> Structure.  Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Grice, H.P. 1968. Logic and Conversation. In Studies in the Way of Words.
Cambridge: Harvard University Press.

> Grimshaw, Jane. 1993. "Semantic Structure and Semantic Content in
Lexical
> Representation". Unpublished ms. Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ.

Hale, K. 1971. A Note on a Walbiri Tradition of Antonymy. In Steinberg, D.
and L. Jakobovits (eds.) Semantics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

> Hale, Ken and J. Keyser. 1997. "On the Complex Nature of Simple
> Predicators". In A. Alsina, J. Bresnan, and P. Sells (eds.), Complex
> Predicates. CSLI Publications, Stanford, CA. 29-65.

Hale, K. and J. Keyser (1998) "The Basic Elements of Argument Structure",
in H. Harley, ed.  The proceedings of the Penn/MIT workshop on aspect,
argument structure and events, May 1997, MITWPL. (middle, passive, Modern
Greek)

Hale, Kenneth and Samuel Jay Keyser.  1993.  "On argument structure and
the lexical expression of syntactic relations."  In Hale, S. and Keyser,
eds.  The View from building 20 : essays in linguistics in honor of
Sylvain Bromberger.  Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press.

> Harley, H. (ed). (1998) "Papers from the UPenn/MIT Roundtable on
Argument
> Structure and Aspect", MITWPL 32.

> Hoekstra, Teun. 1992. "Aspect and Theta Theory". In I.M. Roca (ed.),
> Thematic Structure: Its Role in Grammar. de Gruyter, Berlin. 145-174

van Hout Angeliek.  1996.  "Verb frame alternations in Dutch."  Event
semantics of verb frame alternations: A case study of Dutch and its
acquisition.  Ph.D. diss.  Tilburg University, Chapter 2:39-79.

Hopper, Paul and Sandra A. Thompson.  1980.  Transitivity in grammar and
discourse."  Language 57:251-295.

> Hudson, Dick (1995): Word Meaning. London: Routledge

Ingria, Robert.  1986.  "Lexical information for parsing systems: Points
of convergence and divergence."  BBN Technical Report. Originally prepared
for The Workshop on Automating the Lexicon, Marina di Grosset, Italy.

> Jackendoff, R., 1983. Semantics and Cognition. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
>
> Jackendoff, R., 1990. Semantic Structures. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.

Jackendoff, Ray.  1978.  "Grammar as evidence for conceptual structure."
M. Halle, J. Bresnan, and G. Miller, eds.  Linguistic Theory and
Psychological Reality.  Cambridge, MA: MIT.

> Jackendoff, R. 1991 'Parts and Boundaries' Cognition 41 (same as
> Levin&Pinker edited volume, cited above)
>
> Jackendoff, R. 1996. "The proper treatment of measuring out, telicity
and
> perhaps even quantification in English," NLLT vol. 14 no. 2 pp 305-54
>
> Jackendoff, R., 1993. On the role of conceptual structure in argument
> selection: A reply to Emonds. Natural Language and Linguistic Theory 11:
> 279-312.

Juffs, Alan. 1996.  Learnability and the Lexicon:  Theories and Second
Language Acquisition Research.  Philadelphia:  John Benjamins Publishing
Co.

Karttunen, L. 1971. Implicative Verbs. Language 47.2:340-358.

Kemmer, Suzanne.  1994.  Middle voice, transitivity, and the elaboration
of events.  B. Fox and P. J. Hopper (eds.).  Voice: Form and function.
Amsterdam: John Benjamins.

Kennedy, C. and L. McNally. 1999. Deriving the Scalar Structure of
Deverbal Adjectives. To appear in Catalan Working Papers in Linguistics.

> Kageyama, T. (ed.), 1997. Verb Semantics and Syntactic Structure. Tokyo:
> Kurosio Publishers.

Labelle, M. (1992) ``Change of State and Valency'', Journal of Linguistics
28, 375-414.

Labelle, Marie.  1992.  "Change of state and valency."  Linguistics
28:375-414.  (causative-inchoative, change of state, (in)transitivity,
reflexivity)

> Lappin, S.(ed.), 1996. The Handbook of Contemporary Semantic Theory.
> Oxford: Blackwell.

Lehrer, A. 1985. Markedness and Antonymy. Journal of Linguistics
21:397-429.

Levin, B. (1993) ``Introduction: The Theoretical Perspective'', in B.
Levin, English Verb Classes and Alternations: A Preliminary Investigation,
University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL, 1-19.

Levin, B. (1993) English Verb Classes and Alternations: A Preliminary
Investigation, University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.

Levin, B. (1995) ``Approaches to Lexical Semantic Representation'', in D.
Walker, A.  Zampolli, and N. Calzolari, eds., Automating the Lexicon,
Oxford University Press, Oxford, 53-91.

Levin, B. 1993. English Verb Classes and Alternations. Chicago: University
of Chicago Press.

> Levin, B. and T. Rapoport. 1986. Lexical Subordination. In CLS 24,
> 275-289.

> Levin, Beth and Malka Rappaport Hovav. 1992. "The Lexical Semantics of
> Verbs of Motion:  The Perspective from Unaccusativity". In I.M. Roca
> (ed.), Thematic Structure: Its Role in Grammar. de Gruyter, Berlin.
> 247-269.
>
> Levin, Beth. 1993. "Introduction: The Theoretical Perspective". In B.
> Levin, English Verb Classes and Alternations: A Preliminary
Investigation.
> University of Chicago Press, Chicago.  1-19.

Levin, B. and M. Rappaport Hovav (1991) ``Wiping the Slate Clean: A
Lexical Semantic Exploration'', Cognition 41, 123-151.

Levin, B. and M. Rappaport Hovav (1995) Unaccusativity: At the
Syntax-Lexical Semantics Interface, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.  Chapter 3
and related notes, 79-133, 293-297.

Levin, B. and M. Rappaport Hovav (1997) ``From Lexical Semantics to
Argument Realization'', unpublished ms., Northwestern University and Bar
Ilan Un

Heidi Harley					(520) 626-3554
Department of Linguistics			hharley at u.arizona.edu
Douglass 200E					Fax: (520) 626-9014