10.1673, Qs: Ling/Soc-Econ Development,Semantics/Speech&Lang

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 4 05:15:50 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1673. Thu Nov 4 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1673, Qs: Ling/Soc-Econ Development,Semantics/Speech&Lang

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: James Yuells <james at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:11:35 -0500 (EST)
From:  Niladri Sekhar Dash" <niladrisekhar at hotmail.com>
Subject:  Ling vis-a-vis Socio-economic development

2)
Date:  Wed, 3 Nov 1999 15:47:51 GMT0BST
From:  "I. Mennen" <I.C.H.E.Mennen at newcastle.ac.uk>
Subject:  Semantics for speech & language therapy students

Date:  Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:11:35 -0500 (EST)
From:  Niladri Sekhar Dash" <niladrisekhar at hotmail.com>

Presently we are going to start a project "Linguistics vis-a-vis
Socio-economic development". Our assumption is that the economic and social
development has a strong impact on the devlopment of the languge of a
society and vice versa. Our primary investigation shows that the
economically undeveloped or backward society cannot understand finer
metaphorical terms and words even though expressed in their own language.
For instance, if we say "the winter sighs" to the Jaroa tribe, an aboriginal
tribe in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands of the Bay of Bengal, even in their
own language, they are not able to understand the metaphorical meaning of
the phrase.

We would appreciate if any one can refer some articles or books on this
area. This list would be presented in the Linguist list too.

We come to know some one from London School of Economics has done a doctoral
dissertation on this area. We would be grateful if anybody can enlight us
about this.

Niladri Sekhar Dash
Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Unit
Indian Statistical Institute
203, B. T. Road.
Calcutta - 700 035.
India.