10.1677, Qs: Nasal Release, Hebrew/Phonology, Syllables

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 4 20:28:00 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1677. Thu Nov 4 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1677, Qs: Nasal Release, Hebrew/Phonology, Syllables

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 3 Nov 1999 22:48:39 -0500
From:  tner at hamptons.com (Jonathan Centner)
Subject:  Nasal release in Russian

2)
Date:  Thu, 4 Nov 1999 14:58:21 +0100
From:  Melissa Barkat <Melissa.Barkat at mrash.fr>
Subject:  Hebrew phonological/phonetic description references

3)
Date:  Thu, 4 Nov 1999 09:44:03 -0600 (CST)
From:  Anatol Stefanowitsch <anatol at ruf.rice.edu>
Subject:  Syllables: English/French/Japanese/Spanish

Date:  Wed, 3 Nov 1999 22:48:39 -0500
From:  tner at hamptons.com (Jonathan Centner)

Listmembers

I have been listening to spoken and recorded Russian for some time and
I noticed a pattern in some words like the word for _teacher_.

Female speakers seem to uniformly pronounce the _chya_ regardless of
whether the the word is masculine or feminine, males will pronounce it
as the females do for the masculine form but will optionally release
the _chya_ nasally if it is feminine. Females seem never to do this.

Have others noted this?

Is there a sound inventory of Russian which mentions such differences among
male and female speakers?

I heard such a sound which happens willy-nilly among male and female
speakers of a variety of English spoken on Long Island.  Where I am
now.  The word _ordinary_ is where it is most likely to occur.  I
thought here on Long Island it might be a performance constraint (damp
air, lots of allergens), but the Russian seems not the case.

Thanks for any responses, I'll post a summary.

Jonathan Centner