10.1695, Qs: Semantic Richness, e-mail Register

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Nov 7 18:52:24 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1695. Sun Nov 7 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1695, Qs: Semantic Richness, e-mail Register

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Naomi Ogasawara <naomi at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 6 Nov 1999 23:16:27 EST
From:  LeslieSYK at aol.com
Subject:  Semantic richness of "apple"

2)
Date:  Sun, 07 Nov 1999 12:06:42 EST
From:  "Mila Tasseva-Kurktchieva" <mtasseva at hotmail.com>
Subject:  e-mail register/register shifting

Date:  Sat, 6 Nov 1999 23:16:27 EST
From:  LeslieSYK at aol.com

Dear Linguists, I'm researching the semantic richness of the word "apple"
from 885 to the present.  So far, I've found that the word itself has had 15
different meanings and has occurred in 51 phrases, excluding all food and
beverages made from apples.  I have arbitrarily and somewhat clumsily grouped
this data into the following categories:  1. body parts, 2. figurative
phrases for people, 3. round objects, 4. verbal phrases, 5. noun phrases, 6.
metaphorical sayings, and 7. objects not round like the fruit.

I have 3 questions to put to you.
* Is it common for words to have such richness in meaning?
* Is it particularly significant that the word has such flexibility and range
of meaning?
* Has anyone made a study such as this on a particular word or class of
words?  If so, are these findings similar to yours?

Thanks, Lisa King
LeslieSYK at aol.com