10.1698, Support: English/French, Cognitive/Comp Ling

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Nov 8 23:49:25 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1698. Mon Nov 8 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1698, Support: English/French, Cognitive/Comp Ling

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 21 Sep 1999 17:32:42
From:  jsisane at hotmail.com
Subject:  English/French: Teaching/ Huauchinango, Mexico

2)
Date:  Fri, 5 Nov 1999 10:18:58 -0400
From:  Katherine Demuth <Katherine_Demuth at Brown.edu>
Subject:  Cognitive/Comp Ling: Graduate Training Program

Date:  Tue, 21 Sep 1999 17:32:42
From:  jsisane at hotmail.com

The Universidad de la Sierra, A.C.(USAC)is pleased to announce 3
English and/or French internship teaching position openings for
the Spring 2000 (January-June) semester.

LOCATION:
The Universidad de la Sierra is located in Huauchinango, Puebla
which is a beautiful mountain community of 80,000 inhabitants.
It is approximately 100 miles northeast of Mexico City (3 hours
via bus).

UNIVERSITY:
The Universidad de la Sierra is a nonprofit institution that
offers required integrated English skill courses for students
studying law, tourism, architecture, accounting, computer
science, administration, and engineering.  Tourism students are
also required to take one French course. In addition, each
spring we offer basic English courses for graduate students
studying business administration and teaching. Our present
enrollment is around 600.

The university students and community members who attend our
complimentary English, French, and Nahuatl (a local indigenous
language) workshops are truly a delight to teach.  They are
eager to learn and are quite attentive.  Conversely, our
university students tend to be a bit of a challenge for our
local and foreign teaching staff. They understand English is
important for their future careers, but often view English as
just another required course.  We are always working on
improving motivation.

This year we have an exchange student studying with us from
Australia. We are currently working on developing exchange
agreements so that our students have low-cost opportunities to
study in other countries.

INTERN RESPONSIBILITIES:
-Interns will teach approximately 15-25 contact hours per week
(Most English courses average 15-25 students per class.  All
other university classes average 35 per class.)

-Interns may be assigned to work on special projects such as
staffing the Language Center (English, French and Nahuatl
workshops); curriculum, resource and text development; teacher
training (collaboration) workshops and other projects as
designed.

If interns work on special projects, the overall contact
teaching hours will be reduced accordingly.  For each hour in
the formal classroom, interns will be allotted preparation and
grading time. The remaining hours of the 40 hour work week will
be committed to project hours.  Interns are required to
participate in regular faculty meetings and may be required to
teach Saturday classes.

Interns have the opportunity to be integrally involved within
the development of the department.  Last year, one of our
interns created our departmental web page and all the interns
worked on curriculum and textbook design. To date we have
created 6 class texts.

COMPENSATION:
The Universidad de la Sierra will provide the following:

-Free University e-mail account and free internet access

-Complimentary furnished housing (shared with up to 2 other
interns.  Interns are currently living in the town center in a
private apartment located within a Mariachi family´s
home/building. It is approximately within a 10-15 minute walking
distance (2.5 pesos via bus each way to/from the University).
Each intern has his/her own bedroom and shares a kitchen and
living room with the other interns.

On a personal note, I think we are very fortunate to have our
interns living with this family.  They are incredibly wonderful
people and have always been excellent resources for our interns.
We consider them to be the interns´ host family.  They respect
our interns´ privacy, yet are always available to help out.  A
truly perfect combination in our view!

-Complimentary breakfast, lunch, and snacks at the El Mirador
restaurant and University cafeteria

-Stipend of 6,000 pesos PER SEMESTER (approx. 640 USD per
semester--paid in pesos)  Applicants always wonder if this is
sufficient enough to live on in Huauchinango.  The University
has consistently increased the intern salary over the last few
semesters so that the program offers a living wage.

I recommend that interns fully take advantage of the
complimentary board. If so, interns can live humbly, but well.
If interns are interested in traveling extensively; they will
need to dip into their savings.  Travel tend to be inexpensive
in Mexico according to U.S. standards.  Bus travel is
comfortable and inexpensive (approx. 7 USD from Mexico City to
Huauchinango).

-Interns are expected to provide their own transportation to and
from Huauchinango.

CONTRACT DATES:
University classes are tentatively scheduled to begin on January
3, 2000. However, English courses will begin the following week
(January 10th) to give interns time to prepare for classes and
get acquainted with Huauchinango. The last day of classes is
tentatively scheduled to be on June 2nd.  Following the
cessation of classes, the University holds two weeks of exams.
Interns are always given early exam dates so that they may
finish the semester in a timely manner.

Interns are also given a 2 week paid vacation during Semana
Santa (Easter).

APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS:
-Native speaker of English (We currently have a local Mexican
teaching staff and are looking for native speakers to round off
the department.)

-Earned bachelor´s degree in English, TESOL, French, or a
closely related field

-Preference will be given to applicants who are currently
enrolled in an accredited TESOL master´s program or have
recently completed an MA TESOL degree (The USAC director will
work closely with your MA program if you would like to earn
ACADEMIC CREDIT for this internship.  Two interns in the past
have arranged to receive academic credit for their participation
with USAC.)

-International living and/or traveling experience

-Professionalism, cultural sensitivity, maturity, flexibility, a
positive attitude, and the ability to adapt to another culture

-Proficiency in Spanish is not required but is VERY helpful as
few people in the area speak English.  (Huauchinango is a small
town--the perfect place for total immersion.)

-Fluency in French is preferred but not essential for all
position openings

-Access to an e-mail account and fax machine during the
application period

APPLICATION INFORMATION:
To apply, please FAX the following by October 30, 1999:

-Cover letter stating professional interests, academic training,
practical experience and availability dates

-Resume

-Three letters of recommendation from former professors and/or
employers

-Unofficial transcripts (please have your university registrar
send official copies to my attention)

-Photocopies of diplomas and applicable certificates

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

         Mtra. Jennifer Sisane, Directora
         Departamento de Idiomas y Relaciones Internacionales
         Universidad de la Sierra, A.C.
         Av de los Tecnicos s/n
         Colonia "El Paraiso"
         Huauchinango, Puebla 73168
         MEXICO

         jsisane at hotmail.com

         FAX/Phone:  011-52-776-2-20-34 or 011-52-776-2-25-88 (from the
         U.S.) Available 9:00 am-2:00 pm & 4:00 pm-8:00 pm Monday-Friday
         9:00 am-3:00 pm Saturday (Mexican time)

         WEB:  http://www.usac.edu.mx