10.1702, Qs: German Verb Clusters, What are Allophones?

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 9 22:24:51 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1702. Tue Nov 9 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1702, Qs: German Verb Clusters, What are Allophones?

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: James Yuells <james at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 8 Nov 1999 09:14:21 +0100
From:  Susi Wurmbrand <susi at alum.mit.edu>
Subject:  Questionnaire on German verb clusters

2)
Date:  Mon, 8 Nov 1999 23:38:04 -0500 (EST)
From:  Martin Salzmann <Salzmann.M at gmx.ch>
Subject:  What exactly are allophones?

Date:  Mon, 8 Nov 1999 09:14:21 +0100
From:  Susi Wurmbrand <susi at alum.mit.edu>

This posting is directed to German speakers! I apologize for cross postings

I am condictung a survey on word order variation in so-called verb clusters
(i.e., sentences with more than one verb). Data reported in the literature
and a preliminary survey have shown that in two verb clusters, both orders
are documented to be acceptable by certain speakers; in three verb
clusters, of the six possible word orders five are documented in at least
some West Germanic dialect. However, a systematic characterization and
correlation of word order possibilities and languages/dialects is not
available yet. I have thus developed a questionnaire (at the moment only
for German) which addresses this word order variation in verb clusters. The
results of the questionnaire are intended to serve as the basis for a
dialect atlas which systematizes the variation found in the ordering of
verbal elements in verb clusters.

	If you are a native speaker of German and are interested in
supporting this project I would appreciate it very much if you could take a
few minutes and fill out the questionnaire. The questionnaire can be
obtained in a number of ways. You can download it from my web page:

http://web.mit.edu/susi/www/verblcusters.html

(post script and Word 98 available)

or you could contact me at: susi at alum.mit.edu
and I could send you either a file in a different format or a paper copy of
the questionnaire.

Many thanks,

-  Susi Wurmbrand.

***