10.1728, Qs: Do Support&Adj/Verb, Defusing Derogatory Lang.

Sun Nov 14 16:35:40 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1728. Sun Nov 14 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1728, Qs: Do Support&Adj/Verb, Defusing Derogatory Lang.

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Naomi Ogasawara <naomi at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 12 Nov 1999 19:22:02 +0200
From:  "dave gough" <mcgee at netactive.co.za>
Subject:  Do Support & Adjectives And Verbs

2)
Date:  Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:33:23 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
From:  "Cote, Sharon A" <cotesa at jmu.edu>
Subject:  Defusing derogatory language

Date:  Fri, 12 Nov 1999 19:22:02 +0200
From:  "dave gough" <mcgee at netactive.co.za>

DO SUPPORT, ADJECTIVES AND VERBS

1. ADJECTIVES and VERBS mcgee at netactive.co.za

I would like to find out about languages that show similar morphology for

adjectives and verbs where these are otherwise distinct classes. I'm

particularly - but not exclusively - interested in any cases of similar

morphology for stative verbs and adjectives.

BORROWED ADJECTIVES mcgee at netactive.co.za

Are there languages that treat adjectives that are either code mixed items

or borrowings differently from native adjectives? e.g. would 'fine' or

'sure' - as in 'I am fine', 'He is not sure' - have the same treatment in a
language that is not English as the other 'native' adjectives?

DO SUPPORT in negatives mcgee at netactive.co.za

What other languages, besides English, have the equivalent of do support in
the formation of negatives? e.g. I saw the man I did not see the man. What
is the equivalent that is used?

Please note that all these queries relate to a general area of research I am

presently involved in. I have previously asked a couple of similar questions

which I don't think were very clearly put. Will post a summary of

everything to this query.

Dave Gough
Department of Linguistics
University of Western Cape