10.1814, Qs: Phonetic Representation, Paper by Frazier, L.

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Nov 29 01:02:32 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1814. Sun Nov 28 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1814, Qs: Phonetic Representation, Paper by Frazier, L.

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: James Yuells <james at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 27 Nov 1999 21:26:28 +0900
From:  makarova <makarova at etl.go.jp>
Subject:  Phonetically Representative Text?

2)
Date:  Sun, 28 Nov 1999 11:31:20 +0200 (EET)
From:  Stavroula Stavrakaki <svoula at auth.gr>
Subject:  Looking for a paper by Frazier, L. (1998)

Date:  Sat, 27 Nov 1999 21:26:28 +0900
From:  makarova <makarova at etl.go.jp>

What exactly does "a phonetically representative text" mean?
How/where can one find information about the criteria and guidelines for creating
one?

More specifically,
it is understandable it has to include all the phonemes and the major allophones of
a language.

What other factors have to be accounted for?

I am specifically interested in English.

Possible lines of thought:
1. Diphones
The number of Engl. diphones is about 2 thousand.

2. It seems logical to consider syllable structure and possible phonotactic
combinations.

By taking only all possible word-initial accented syllable onsets you arrive at 20
vowels times 60 cons/cons clusters (I lower the number since not all combinations
are possible) = 1200 syllables. If one considers that the first accented syllbale
in a phrase is different from an accented syllable in the middle or end of a
phrase, tripple the number.

There is also about the same number of possible syllable codas.
Also who has ever counted or listed ALL possible English syllables, not only syll.
initials and finals?

3. Suppose you have dealt with the word-initial accented syllables. How about the
unaccented ones? Another list?

There seems to be no way to stop, and yet the text/ word list has to be final and
contain
a readable amount of words (no more than about a thousand).

I would really appreciate suggestions about this issue.

Yours sincerely,
Veronika Makarova,
Meikai University, Japan
makarova at etl.go.jp