10.1437, FYI: Linguistics at the National Science Foundation

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Oct 2 21:34:34 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1437. Sat Oct 2 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1437, FYI: Linguistics at the National Science Foundation

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:20:50 -0400
From:  "Ball, Catherine" <cball at nsf.gov>

Date:  Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:20:50 -0400
From:  "Ball, Catherine" <cball at nsf.gov>

Dear Colleagues,

I am honored to serve our profession as the new Program Director for
Linguistics at the National Science Foundation. Following the
tradition established by Paul Chapin, I will hold 'office hours' at
the Linguistic Society of America annual meeting, and I look forward
to talking to many of you at that time. I would especially like to
meet with new investigators -- those who haven't yet been supported by
NSF -- and with anyone who has questions about the funding process.

In the meantime, perhaps I could say a few words about the NSF
Linguistics program and bring some dates to your attention. Please
visit our webpage at http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/bcs/ling/ for more
details; the LINGUIST list has also kindly added NSF links on its
Funding page at http://www.linguistlist.org/funding.html.

The Linguistics program at the National Science Foundation supports
scientific research of all types that focuses on natural human
language as an object of investigation. (If you're wondering whether
that covers your research, send me an e-mail)

Linguistics is housed in the Division of Behavioral and Cognitive
Sciences (BCS), which also includes programs in Child Learning and
Development, Cultural Anthropology, Human Cognition and Perception,
and Social Psychology. As the BCS webpage says
(http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/bcs/), "All programs in BCS consider proposals
for research projects, conferences, and workshops. Some programs also
consider proposals for doctoral dissertation improvement assistance,
the acquisition of specialized research and computing equipment, group
international travel, and large-scale data collection. BCS
participates in special initiatives and competitions on a number of
topics, including the human dimensions of global change, cognitive
science and intelligent systems, and infrastructure to improve data
resources, data archives, collaboratories, and centers."

There are many funding opportunities for linguists at NSF, but let me
just mention four that may be of immediate interest:

1. Dissertation Improvement Grants:
http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/bcs/ling/disserts.htm
These grants fund up to $12,000 of dissertation research costs. The
proposal is submitted by a faculty member on behalf of the graduate
student. Target dates for submission of proposals are January 15 and
July 15.

2. CAREER grants: http://www.nsf.gov/home/crssprgm/career/
The Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program is for junior
faculty who are in their first or second full-time tenure-track
academic appointment ... Awards range from $200,000 to $500,000 in
total for 4 or 5 years.  (please see program announcement for
eligibility requirements and deadlines; this is based on the
announcement whose deadline was July 1999).

3. Standard research grants: http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/bcs/ling/
Target dates for submission of proposals are January 15 and July 15.
Proposals are generally sent out to six reviewers and then considered
by the Linguistics panel; NSF guidelines call for a decision to be
made within 6 months of receipt of a proposal.

4. POWRE grants: http://www.nsf.gov/home/crssprgm/powre/
These are special one-year grants for women, and the deadline for
proposals is *December 9th*.

I will keep you informed as I ferret out the details of other
opportunities.

Best wishes,

 -- Cathy Ball
Catherine N. Ball || Program Director, Linguistics
Division of Behavioral & Cognitive Sciences
National Science Foundation
Rm. 995, 4201 Wilson Blvd., Arlington VA 22230
Phone: 703-306-1731               Fax: 703-306-0485
cball at nsf.gov || http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/bcs/ling/