10.1469, Qs: Translation, Dialects/Corpus, Korean/Japanese

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 7 04:32:01 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1469. Thu Oct 7 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1469, Qs: Translation, Dialects/Corpus, Korean/Japanese

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Lydia Grebenyova <lydia at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 06 Oct 1999 10:15:11
From:  robset at easynet.fr
Subject:  Translation in Linguistics

2)
Date:  Wed, 06 Oct 1999 15:15:25 -0400
From:  Marc Andre Belanger <mab at contact.net>
Subject:  English Dialects/Oral Corpus

3)
Date:  Tue, 5 Oct 1999 18:45:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Hyun-Sook Kang <virginia56 at yahoo.com>
Subject:  Korean and Japanese Comparison

Date:  Wed, 06 Oct 1999 10:15:11
From:  robset at easynet.fr

Dear List members,

I am investigating why translation is so little used as a source of data in
linguistics, as compared to the traditional database comprising  sentences
with acceptability judgments, conversation/text and  sovereign monolingual
productions in general.

 I am interested in (as distinct from translation pedagogy, translation
theory per se):

(i) instances of translation being evoked in arguments about
language/thought (I only have a few examples so far, eg the Katz-Keenan
papers (1972, 1978) on the (im)possibility of exact translation,
Jackendoff's (1996) argument to illustrate the thought-language distinction)

(ii) use of actual translation (interpreting) data (corpora) in linguistic
inquiry, ie application of linguistic analysis and inference to such data.

I will post a summary.

Cognition 4(1), 1-34.

Katz, Jerrold. 1978. Effability and translation. 191-234.
Keenan, Edward. 1978a. Some logical problems in translation. 157-189
Both in F. Guenthner and M. Guenthner-Reutter (eds.), Meaning and
Translation: Philosophical and Linguistic Approaches, . London: Duckworth.

Sincerely,

Robin Setton