10.1515, Sum: Bilingual Puns

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 14 01:30:28 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1515. Wed Oct 13 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1515, Sum: Bilingual Puns

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:59:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:  Anatol Stefanowitsch <anatol at ruf.rice.edu>
Subject:  Sum: Bilingual Puns

Date:  Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:59:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:  Anatol Stefanowitsch <anatol at ruf.rice.edu>

A while ago I posted a query asking about bilingual puns, which I loosely
defined as 'puns based on similar sounding words across two languages.'
Thanks to all of you for the great examples that you sent me.
     I have left the replies unedited (except for some minor changes in
layout). I have simply ordered them alphabetically according to language
pairs involved, and I have also ordered the names of the languages in each
pair alphabetically. I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it, but
it's the best I could think of.
     I hope you all have as much fun with these examples as I did.

CORSICAN-ENGLISH

From: Alexandra Jaffe <ajaffe at ocean.otr.usm.edu>

I can give you two from Corsican-English.

One is,
"Do you speak English?"
"No, I spicca figatellu"
_spicca_ is the Corsican verb for "unhook" and figatellu is a type of
sausage that used to be hung (and thus unhooked) from the rafters.

The other involves play on "Chicago" which sounds like "ci cagu" in
Corsican, which means, "I shit there."

DUTCH-ENGLISH

From: Joachim Ballweg <ballweg at mx300e.ids-mannheim.de>

An englishman rides a taxi in Amsterdam. He gets out and says to the
driver "Tak euw well"(many thanks). The driver responds the usuall "As euw
belift" whereupon the Englishman says "I never did!"

ENGLISH-FINNISH

From: Diana Ben-Aaron <benaaron at cc.helsinki.fi>

Bilingual puns are extremely common in Finnish advertisements.  Usually
they are Finnish/English.  For example this advertisement for pear cider
sold under the name "Perry":

Matkan    parhain hetki  on pa"a"sy   Perrylle.
Journey's best    moment is getting   destination-to.
'The best moment of a journey is getting to the Perry.'

This is a pun on _perille_, an adverbial meaning 'to the destination'. The
fact that _parhain_ rather than the more common form _paras_ is used for
'best' may contribute to the pun.

It goes to your other query as well [Note: this refers to a query about
pseudoloans, the first part of which is summarized in issue 10.1388,
A.S.], since the name Perry was constructed to look like a loanword - the
pronunciation as a native Finnish word would use back _y_, which
incidentally means it would not sound like _perille_ - and yet I can't
think of a language where pear drinks are called by any name like Perry -
certainly not in American English.

Another example, an ad for candy:

Enemma"n namia, va"hemma"n mania.
More     yums,  less       money.

_-ia_ is a plural partitive ending.  Added to _nam_ which is how you say
'yum' in Finish, it becomes _namia_; then to complete the wordplay they
made up the form _mania_ which can only refer to English _money_ as far as
I can see - 'money' in Finnish is _raha/rahat/rahoja_ (the last is the
plural partitive form that would be required by the sentence above).

Caveats: I'm reproducing these from memory, and I'm a native speaker of
English, not Finnish.

ENGLISH-FRENCH

From: Richard Laurent <laurent28 at hotmail.com>

I don't have any references to give you, but I do have a pun one has to
know English and French to appreciate.

C'est vache le chaos. /se vaS lx kao/ (where S = Eng. sh, x = schwa)

Literally meaning 'Chaos is annoying,' it depends on the near- identitical
pronunciation of Engl. cow and Fr. chaos.