10.1547, Qs: Sentence processing, Against uniformitarianism

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 18 16:32:25 UTC 1999

LINGUIST List:  Vol-10-1547. Mon Oct 18 1999. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 10.1547, Qs: Sentence processing, Against uniformitarianism

		    Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>
                      Qian Liao <qian at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 17 Oct 1999 16:04:30 -0400
From:  Kentaro Nakatani <knakatan at fas.harvard.edu>
Subject:  Previous studies in sentence processing

2)
Date:  Sun, 17 Oct 1999 16:47:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Frederick Newmeyer <fjn at u.washington.edu>
Subject:  Against uniformitarianism

Date:  Sun, 17 Oct 1999 16:04:30 -0400
From:  Kentaro Nakatani <knakatan at fas.harvard.edu>

Dear colleagues,

I am a grad student in linguistics.  Recently I'm interested in
the relationship between morphological complexity of predicates
and complexity of sentence processing, in Japanese and English.

If anybody could give me suggestions on where I could find
previous studies on this matter, I would appreciate it very much.

Specifically, I would like to find literature on:

(1)  the relationship between sentence processing and English
     verbal morphology/incorporation;
(2)  the relationship between sentence processing and Japanese
     verbal morphology/incorporation.
(3)  syntactic complexity of Japanese predicates including
     "-temiru", "-tekuru", "-teiku", "-teiru", "-tearu", etc.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Ken Nakatani
knakatan at fas.harvard.edu